Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Afraid my son's starving...

Default Re: Afraid my son's starving...

chico ca

all the peds here arent taking new patients. only the clinic is available with nurses. i hate it here we're moving back to ny in a few months, yay.

i wish i could but the closest city is redding or woodland/sacramento. both are 100 mi+ drives... its mainly college kids here so doctors are scarce. i had to deliver in napa 150 mis away. all we had up here was midwives none would take me asthma plus previous preeclampsia and i had a +afp with this pregnancy so they were all skiddish. turns out i had a problem free pregnancy and a healthy baby despite jaundice. delivery was rough, very rough on us both. vaccum extraction, 2+ hrs of pushing, etc... i cant drive down to napa weekly for weight checks they have a few options available for peds but still not much. i dont even know where to begin to get him circumsized. he needs it done soon as well.

Well 1st things 1st. Your not starving your child. Your diaper output sounds right. Don't listen to her, don't supplement and if you can avoid going back there at all I would. If you want to wait to get back to NY to begin Vaxes...I don't know why you would need to go back to someone who's making you feel bad. You can stay home and worry by yourself. Look online for a scale you can order. My cousin orderd one because she has twins. My diaper service rents them by the week so they are available. If your serious about not wanting to go back to her while in Chico, you don't have to.
    The circ thing is a problem. It has to be done before 4weeks or else it's considered "cosmetic surgery" and then the cost won't be picked up by insurance. and I assume they wouldn't do it in Napa becaue you didn't have a Pedi picked out there? You may want to let that go....I was in the same situation, and I had it done at the 3week point and it was very hard to think about inflicting pain on my newborn every day. There's an intersting thread in Parenting about it....if I had it to do over I might not. Good luck and congratulations on Bfing thru what sounds like a very stressful beginning

Well, I can sure see why you don't want to return to that clinic. In addition to the bad breastfeeding advice, you received condescension. That's really a shame.

There are other alternatives, and no, frankly, I wouldn't trust a grocery store scale to accurately weigh my baby. Go to www.ilca.org and search for IBCLCs in Chico. I did this and came up with about six of them there. They will have good scales and will help you evaluate what if anything needs to be changed.

The main reason (aside from his slightly low diaper output) that I am not telling you to relax and stop worrying is because you are on this board with concerns about your baby's weight gain two weeks after his last clinic visit. That sounds to me like it might be momma's intuition sensing that something isn't quite right ... so go ahead and pursue this, or you probably won't be able to relax about it anyway. An IBCLC isn't going to get into stuff about cribs and she sure won't tell you to use pacifiers, so your parenting philosophy is not going to be the issue. She's going to weigh your baby, ask about his nursing and his diaper output, crunch some numbers, and help you figure out if there is anything to worry about, and if so, what to do about it while also protecting your breastfeeding relationship.

Good luck and keep us posted -- I will be happy to hear when you know that all is well.

--Rebecca

We use a scale in our local hospital's pharmacy. It's open to the public just to weigh babies. Look into a medical supply store, they'd probably rent you a scale at a good price.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

i took him in for a weight check the scale they use is this car seat thing not the lay down type. i should mention the weights from when he was first born was from the hospital on lay down scales.

well the scale was broken yesterday so they tried to estimate. its callibration or something they said was way off on it and they cant get it fixed. so the nurse who sees him held him and said he "feels lighter" and her scale with the bad callibration said 7lbs 8oz... thats impossible because he is eating good, peeing good, pooping good. so she once again critiscized my breastmilk, saying it was bad has no calories he's eating for too long he should eat for now just 5 minutes a side and give him formula so he is interested in the formula over the breast so he isnt full from me...

i think shes full of c*** and i am taking him into a breastfeeding support center on monday for weight checks and support. this office has been nothing but hell on me and their scale is broken to add onto the frustration.

he isnt screaming, he is sleeping good, and has a good urine output.

and to top it off the nurse poked him because she thinks he has jaundice again and done it for nothing because his level is only 9.7... which means he isnt having it reoccur again. when we left the hospital it was still in the teens 4 weeks ago. she also got blood on his baby blanket.... omg i want to kill her.

whats a gp?

Oh, how frustrating! The scale was broken, so the nurse told you she could guess the baby's weight? What is this, a raffle at the state fair?!?! No wonder you are angry with this clinic and don't want to go back.

I'm glad to hear you will visit a breastfeeding support center on Monday. Is this a lactation unit connected to a local hospital? Ask if they have an IBCLC lactation consultant on staff. And please -- tell every IBCLC you can find what the nurse at the clinic did and said. For her to be telling mothers that their breastmilk is "bad" -- "doesn't have enough calories" -- etc. and for her to be pushing formula instead of referring slow-gaining babies to a lactation consultant is just outrageous.

A GP is a "general practitioner," I think -- around here they are known as family practice physicians. Our whole family goes to two family practice doctors that work together. It's an alternative to a pediatrician for the baby and an OB/GYN for the mom, and especially with a breastfeeding family this can make a lot of sense, as appts can often be scheduled back-to-back, and the same doctor can treat both baby and mom for things like thrush.

I'll look for an update from you after your Monday visit to the breastfeeding support center. I hope they will put your mind at ease about your baby's growth!

--Rebecca

I only have a quick second but I wanted to reply to your post. I agree with the others about more diapers in one day. I would see if you are nursing 12 times a day. I also wanted to tell you I just weighed my 8 week old on a digital scale in the grocery store. Probable not very scientific but reassuring all the same. If you truly would like to weigh at home you can rent the Medela Digital scale on a monthly basis. The Medela website will help you find a local retailer. I used the scale with my 28 weeker. It helped me get some peace of mind. The best thing I can tell you is to have faith in you and your baby. You are providing the best nutrition possible. A supportive pediatrician is extremely important. They should be your biggest advocate and support in caring for your child. I wish you all the best.

Sorry for the strange post I was typing and talking to my daughter and I did not notice the second page.