Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mean boss--need to vent

Default Mean boss--need to vent

Hi everyone,

First post here. I just started back to work last Monday. My DS was 8 weeks old. He'll be 10 weeks tomorrow. I've worked at my current position for 8 years. My boss-a female doctor-has a reputation for being somewhat...let's just say she's hard to work for!

I thought things were going to be ok with me pumping at work. She had a fridge all ready for me, and showed me a couple of rooms that would be available. She then explained that the time to pump would be unpaid, except for my lunch break. I asked if I could come in early or stay late. Nope. OK, fine, I'll punch out. (I planned to do a 10 min session in morning, longer one at lunch, then another 10 min in the afternoon.) But the more I thought about it, the more it annoyed me.

My coworkers take a coffee break, and they don't have to punch out. Why can't I pump then? The coffee break policy isn't written down in the employee handbook--it's a 'courtesy' break according to HR. I asked if I could have a 'courtesy' pumping break. The next day we get a memo--no more coffee/personal breaks allowed. Now everyone has to punch in and out for any breaks.

My coworkers have been taking these 20-25 breaks forEVER! (Supposed to be 10 minutes). Rather than just enforce the 10 minute break rule, she makes me be the bad guy. Now my coworkers are mad, because I screwed up their "free" coffee time and I'm losing out almost $3000 a year to breastfeed my son due to lost wages. I hope the stress doesn't cause my supply to dwindle. He's a hungry boy! Already up to 14 lbs, 7 oz at 9 weeks!

Anyone else have issues with supervisors or unsupportive coworkers???

Default Re: Mean boss--need to vent

Wow, what a *itch!

You might want to look into your provincial or state laws regarding hours worked and breaks / lunches. They may not be able to take away your breaks.

Something to consider would be to shorten your 1 hour lunch to 40 minutes so that you still had 20 minutes to take breaks with. That way you're still working full hours and getting your pumping time.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

What state do you live in mama?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

That really stinks.

Again, what state are you in?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Well I am not sure if you are coming back tonight, but most states have laws protecting breastfeeding and pumping. Some states even require that you are provided 15 minute PAID breaks IN ADDITION to your normal work breaks to pump milk.

You can check out breastfeeding laws as they apply to your state here and here.

Good luck mama. And
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thanks for letting me vent. To answer your questions, I live in CT. I only have a 1/2 hour lunch, and it is specifically mentioned in our handbook that lunch is taken between 12 and 1. So I couldn't even break it up because I know already she won't make special allowances for me-'then she'd have to do it for everybody'. Blah blah blah. It is a small company, less than 50 employees, so she doesn't have to go by the FMLA laws either.

And don't even get me started on her "maternity leave"--our last office manager took 2 weeks. I was lucky to talk my way into 8 weeks. (After C-section due to breech, and dairy allergy that we're working through). Ugh.

Plus side to this job: no weekends, no holidays, day shift and pay is decent. But I'm really starting to reconsider that all...

FWIW, I pumped for ds1 for a year while at work with 2 10 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch.
    Not an ideal situation but it can be done. I made up my mind early on that no matter how difficult my employers made things they were not going to take away my breastfeeding relationship with my son.

Some things that I did was to have my pump all set up and ready to go for the first session. I had a medela pump so I used their storage bags and would attach those to my cleaned pump the night before. I would also have the tubing and everything attached so all I had to do was plug it in and attach myself to start pumping. Then at lunch when I had a bit more time I would do the same thing so that I had everything ready for the afternoon pumping session.

I also drank a lot of smoothies for breaks and lunches. I kept those in my cooler bag that came with my pump. It kept me from having to go running around trying to get something to eat and pump.

Sorry that your boss has made you out to be the bad guy.
    Just set your mind to it that you are doing what is best for your baby and don't let anyone take that from you. YOU CAN DO IT
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Just wanted to give you a
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

First off, !

Okay so I went ahead and googled the state laws and I found this:

Conn. Gen. Stat. § 31-40w (2001) requires employers to provide a reasonable amount of time each day to an employee who needs to express breast milk for her infant child and to provide accommodations where an employee can express her milk in private. (HF 5656)

It's not FMLA, it is STATE LAW in CT. So by telling you that you can not do that, she is directly breaking the law.

I also found this:

http://www.ctemploymentlawblog.com/2...n-connecticut/

She CAN NOT legally take away your right to pump. Print it out if you have to, take it to her office and inform her that you need at least 2 10 minute breaks in addition to your lunch, as well as a reasonable place to do so. I would give her the information and ask her to inform you of where and what times those breaks will be. Don't go into it being a bi*** or anything about it, and I wouldn't bring up anything that might imply you would sue her, but be firm and professional and let her know that you are well-informed of your rights and that she can not force you to give up your nursing relationship.

Also, in case she tries to tell you that a half hour on lunch is "reasonable" you could also go to your Dr and/or pediatrician ahead of time and ask them for a letter informing her that it's not and those 2 breaks in addition to your lunch are necessary for maintaining your supply. Then she can't really argue with you on that either.
    Last edited by @llli*mamamommy3; August 26th, 2009 at 07:40 AM.
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

I'm sorry you're in this situation. Something other people have managed to do (I've never tried it) is pumping in their cars on their way into work and on their way home. I'm not sure how far you drive to work, but maybe that would be a way to get some extra ounces out if you have a hard time with two 10 minute breaks in the morning and afternoon.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months