Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Allergic reaction, cold, or teething?

Default Allergic reaction, cold, or teething?

Hi LLLadies,

I'm not sure it this is the proper forum for this thread or not, hopefully I'll get some helpful feedback regardless.

I started Brody (6.5mo) on rice cereal on Sunday (today's Tuesday). He has a dairy and soy allergy, and this was the only kind that I found doesn't contain either ingredient (it's Beech Nut). I only gave him about 4 or 5 of his baby spoonfulls, because I'm paranoid and wouldn't know how he'd react to it. He loved it, and didn't seem to have any adverse reactions, other than smellier gas than usual , but I know that's normal. I didn't give it to him yesterday since his reactions to dairy or soy have all been GI related (mucousy poops), and sometimes it takes a day or two for me to see if he's having a reaction. I've been noticing little bits of mucous in his poops yesterday and today which of course has me worried. However, he also came down with a cold yesterday, and is also teething so I'm not sure if the mucous is related to the cold, teething, or the cereal. I've read and re-read the ingredients label, so I'm SURE that there's not any soy or dairy to speak of, however it doesn't state on the package that it is or isn't manufactured on equiptment that also processes stuff WITH dairy and soy, so I'm hoping this isn't the case...

Any thoughts?
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Default Re: Allergic reaction, cold, or teething?

Hard to say ... I'd perhaps back off on the solids and wait until after the cold is better.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Well I'm pretty sure it's the cereal... I am so frustrated! His poops JUST got back to normal (we waited to introduce solids, so we could tell if he had a reaction) and today it was back to the same color and consistency of his normal "allergy" poops.
    So I'm not sure what to do now... I have no idea what it is that he reacted to (possible cross contamination from being processed on the same machine as stuff with milk??). Typically, when I've mistakenly eaten dairy or soy in my diet, it takes about 3 weeks or so to clear from his system. Do I have to wait that long before giving him anything new? We'll just skip the cereal I think.
    This is totally different from introducing solids to my ds1... I feel like a total newbie.

Perhaps skip processed baby foods and start with foods you prepare at home? That would eliminate the guess work of possible x-contam.

Either do "baby led solids" or prepare your own baby foods.

A great resource for home-made baby food here - http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

As commented on your other thread - baby cereals really aren't "necessary" but usually promoted as an easy way to get iron because the cereals are fortified.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Perhaps skip processed baby foods and start with foods you prepare at home? That would eliminate the guess work of possible x-contam.

Either do "baby led solids" or prepare your own baby foods.

A great resource for home-made baby food here - http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

As commented on your other thread - baby cereals really aren't "necessary" but usually promoted as an easy way to get iron because the cereals are fortified.
    Ditto! Here's a link about making your own baby rice and oatmeal cereal.
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/cereals.htm
    Stacey
    Mom to:
    Alexandria (step-DD 10yo)
    Anastasia (9yo- BFed 6mos)
    Noah (6yo- EBFed 14mos)
    Oliver (5mos- EBF)

Yeah, I think I'm going to do that. Thanks ladies!