Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First Birthday Cake

Default First Birthday Cake

Hey mamas! I can't believe DS is nearing his first birthday well, actually he is just over 9months old, but still it will be here before i know it !!

My question for you ladies is concerning the first birthday cake tradition. I am trying my best to keep sugar away from my LO for as long as possible. Every time I turn around someone wants to give him ice cream, or pudding, or jelly on a biscuit. Sometimes they dont even ask, I just have to hurry and say "no sugar yet!!"

They act as though I'm being cruel. But DS has barely learned to appreciate the sweetness of fruit. and I believe he is WAY too young for junk! But still, they are sooooo excited about giving him a giant sugary birthday cake and i guess they believe that after that anything goes. I can somewhat understand their excitement. I remember when I first got to babysit my nephew when he was two, and i was thrilled to give him a giant slice of chocolate cake to enjoy...

Anyways, anyone else concerned about this dilemma. I'm thinking that I will be the one to make the cake so I can control what goes in. Should I shoot for sugar free? or somekind of fruit cake with a whipped cream topping? or a friend of mine mentioned a cake made of veggies lol!
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

Default Re: First Birthday Cake

I made a banana cake for my lo for his first birthday. It was egg free as well, because up until that point, we hadn't given ds egg whites. I'll go hunt up the recipe. Banana is nice because you can increase the banana and decrease the sugar The original recipe I used (if I recall correctly) only called for 1/2 cup of sugar for the whole thing - and you can lower that by adding more banana or applesauce
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

okay, so it's 1 cup, not 1/2. Here's the recipe

Banana Cake

Ingredients:
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1 cup raw sugar or other sweetener
    1/3 cup oil
    4 ripe bananas, mashed (about 2 ½ cups_
    ¼ cup water
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Instructions:
    This cake recipe is an egg and lactose free recipe.
    Preheat oven to 350 degree.
    Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
    In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil together, then add the bananas and
    mash them. Stir in the water and vanilla, and mix thoroughly.
    Add the flour mixture along with the chopped walnuts, and stir to mix.
    Spread in a nonstick or lightly oil-sprayed 9 inch square baking pan,
    and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Nutritional Information:
    Per Serving: 210calories 4g protein 8g fat 262mg sodium 30g carbohydrate
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I made a homemade carrot cake. I don't believe it was low sugar...but my DD barely.ate.any of it. I've heard other moms say the same so keep that in mind.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Thanks ladies!

I want it to be good enough to fool the sugar happy adults! Both these ideas sound great
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

Smile Re: First Birthday Cake

Ooo yum! Good sounding recipe Jen! Annabella's birthday is just around the corner...I may have to try that one! Thanks for sharing!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

I'm not a big sugar eater myself and I really like applesauce cakes. If you look online there are a TON of variations and the amount of sugar is usually variable. Most call for 1 C which isn't bad for an entire cake, I guess. You can even go sugar "free" by using apple juice concentrate (still some sugar involved but not added sugar).
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years

Mmm...carrot cake. I'll bet that would be good made with applesauce.

I'm sort of torn on this issue. Do we want to teach our kids that there is a time and place for sweets and how to eat them moderately? I don't know the answer to this myself or how I feel about it. I plan to keep Oscar away from sweets as long as possible, and we will never offer juice, soda, candy, etc. in our home, but I'm not sure about when to introduce him to his first sweets. I don't want him to sneak off to his friend's houses to stuff himself with junk because it's forbidden at home. I think we do need to give them skills for how to approach food once they are beyond our reach.
    We made it one year!
    Loving
    and blogging about it all here

Does anyone have ideas for lower-sugar frosting alternatives? Seems like everybody always has pictures of the birthday kid covered in cake and frosting, and my niece never even made it to the cake - she just played in the frosting. My nephew was up all night after his chocolate cupcake, having never eaten anything like that before. I'm nowhere near needing recipes (my son is only 2 months) but I'd love to know there are some other alternatives!

you could use a whipped cream? Or a slightly sweetened cream cheese icing? There are also things out there like "Nutrawhip" which are practically sugar free - but the trade off is a list of ingredients you may not be happy with either
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08