Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm Sold on BLS!

Default I'm Sold on BLS!

We've been doing solids for a couple of weeks now, just a few meals with me mashing things with my fork and feeding them to him. A little banana, some avocado, some steamed pear (his favorite) and some oatmeal.

After reading some forum postings and the Kellymom site, I knew I wanted to do BLS, but I needed some inspiration, not a lot a of do's and don'ts and dry lists of fruits and vegetables, so headed out to do my own research.

Had more luck with the phrase baby led weaning, and stumbled upon some wonderful sites, which I found through the wikipedia entry on baby led weaning (links below).

After looking at the great pictures and videos, plus reading the lively forum, I was ready to give it a try.

The first meal we did consisted of cucumber slices, a small piece of toast, and the yolk of a hard-boiled egg. I had a great time watching ds explore and play with his food. He made a huge mess but had a great time, and I'm surprised at how much he ate.

The next day I have him some banana slices and a rice cake. Was fascinated to watch him try to get the banana to his mouth. At first, no luck, but I resisted the temptation to feed it to him. Finally, after much exploring and trial and error, he figured out a technique. Nothing more amazing than watching the problem-solving abilities of a six-month old.

There was some gagging, but it was funny, because ds would just work it out. He even smiled at me while coughing with watery eyes, as if to say, "I got it, mom." I'm familiar with infant CPR so I knew I could handle an emergency, but I also let him try to deal with it as long as I knew he was breathing and just gagging. I think it's part of the learning process. You definitely have to watch actively in the beginning, but try to resist the temptation to "help."

I'm completely in love with this form of feeding and not going back.

One interesting thing about the baby led weaning forum is that most of the women live in the UK, where there are NO restrictions given regarding allergies, etc. It's shocking to read about them giving all manner of foods this early. We are being a bit more cautious about dairy, egg whites, berries and citrus (and of course no honey or nuts) and don't plan to give meat just now. But ds has had wheat and egg yolk with no reactions.

Wikipedia entry on Baby Led Weaning
    www.baby-led.com
    www.babyledweaning.com
    Last edited by @llli*alittlesandy; August 25th, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
    We made it one year!
    Loving
    and blogging about it all here

Default Re: I'm sold on BLS!

I am so happy its working out for you! Good to have positive feedback! I am just now starting to give solids the baby led way, my LO is gonna be 7 months this week. We tried banana today and when he got some in his mouth he spit it out and got a horrible look on his face! He does this everytime we've tried except maybe an apple he sucked the juice out of. Does anyone know if this sort of reaction is normal? I've only tried melon, apple, and bananas so far. He doesn't seem too interested in eating. I am not pushing, just wondering if anyone has a LO that seems disgusted with bananas?! I thougth for sure he'd like those!
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

Default Re: I'm Sold on BLS!

It might be the texture. I first gave bananas mashed into some cereal (before we started BLS) and my ds liked them, so now when he gets a taste he knows what it is and that he wants it in his mouth.

I would just keep trying. Oscar used to hate avocados, but about the fourth time I offered them he didn't make a face, and actually chewed and swallowed the piece he put in his mouth.
    We made it one year!
    Loving
    and blogging about it all here

One other thing to keep in mind - I read that it takes 3 exposures to a challenging new taste for a kid to actually like it, so patience is the key. It didn't always take that long, but we did have some things that DS only loved after a few exposures. (I BLS, too!)
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

We love BLS! It's awesome to see DD at 10 months and how far she has come. She's never choked and if she gets an unmanageable piece of food she knows how to spit it rght out without a lot of gagging. It really takes the stress out of feeding them and the cost savings is great.

I will definitely keep trying, I have no other choice! I know he will learn someday that food tastes good, it just seems like everyone talks about their baby really liking food! I am okay if he wants to take it slow because feeding a baby is messy!
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*janelle525 View Post
    I will definitely keep trying, I have no other choice! I know he will learn someday that food tastes good, it just seems like everyone talks about their baby really liking food! I am okay if he wants to take it slow because feeding a baby is messy!
    DD1 wasn't interested in food until after 12 mo. Now, at 2 and a half, she eats EVERYTHING! Fruits, veggies, meat, pasta, you name it Just let him play and he'll eat when he's ready. (DD2 is totally the opposite, she's 7 mo and she eats like crazy, it's amazing how different they can be!)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*imma2nonstopaa View Post
    I read that it takes 3 exposures to a challenging new taste for a kid to actually like it
    Actually I read 12!!

Where do I find more info on BLS?