Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Restless legs while nursing

Default Restless legs while nursing

Sometimes while my son is nursing I get a horrible case of restless legs! It's most often late at night, and when he's been going for a long time and has started to play around a little or make grunting/buzzing noises against my breast. I've tried standing up, walking around, doing leg exercises, eating more bananas (for the potassium) - everything I can think of, but sometimes it's just unbearable. Anybody else have this problem?

Default Re: Restless legs while nursing

I used t0.. It kind 0f went away 0n it 0wn.. but it hurts..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Reviving this old thread to see if anyone else is experiencing RLS since BFng... mine is getting crazy unbearable @ 6months post partum. Bothering me during the day too, not just when trying to get to sleep.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

my mom swears by yogurt. I find that doing calf and hamstring stretches usually helps.

I had terrible restless legs during pregnancy. Terrible! Like, I couldn't sit still for hours on end even if I was exhausted. I thought I was going to go insane!

I was able to bear them with a combination of:
    - leg stretches as PP suggested. For some reason it helped A LOT when I stretched my quadriceps (as in: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy...ps_stretch.php)
    - massaging the legs when they were too restless. My husband helped with that... the stronger the better, he massaged for hours sometimes
    - walking as much as I could during the day; the more active I was, the better
    - putting pressure on legs when they were restless, or in moments of despair running something cold on them--anything to create a "diversion" in the sensation
    - putting my legs up as often as possible

Someone told me about putting a bar of soap on your mattress, under the sheets, close to the foot of the bed. I know it sounds silly but I was so desperate that I also did this.

Since giving birth my restless legs have improved although I still feel them once in a while. I notice that they get worse if my LO is lying directly on my thighs, with her weight sort of cutting the circulation from hips to legs. So I tinker and reposition her, and I keep my feet up when nursing.

I hope your restless legs will soon feel restful!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

RLS can be very uncomfortable! I've had it my entire life. I can remember being about 9 or 10 years old, and crying when I couldn't sleep because my legs were twitching, but my parents never really understood the problem. As an adult, I can usually keep it under control. There are a couple of medications available that can really help, but I don't know how safe they are for breastfeeding. Stress, alcohol, and exhaustion are all major contributors to RLS. Walking or stretching won't have a true effect on the twitchiness, but sometimes it can help a little. Usually, for me the biggest help is to do things to help me de-stress. It happens more when I'm worrying over things. The less I worry the less my legs twitch. Oh, and for me, even one glass of wine will end up with my legs twitching so badly I want to scream, so I pretty much gave up all but a very rare drink.
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.
    Vyse, born April 17, 2013. 7lbs 3oz at birth, and absolutely perfect.
    Spending alot of time and .

I have the exact same issue, but mine is mostly just in my left leg. It is a crawly, pins and needles, nails-on-chalkboard feeling that makes me want to drop the baby sometimes. It goes away as soon as I am finished nursing so I don't think mine is true RLS, though I did have RLS at night when I was pregnant with both of my kids. Taking an iron supplement helped with that. Mine was way worse when the baby was a newborn and affected both legs then but it has come and gone since then but even now at 7 months it still gets bad sometimes.

I am not sure if there is anything that can be done for it! I'd love to find out though.