Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nipples sore and cracking from nursing 11mth old with teeth!

Default nipples sore and cracking from nursing 11mth old with teeth!

I would absolutely love to nurse my daughter past one year of age, but i need help with this issue because it's killing me!! It's like her teeth constantly scrape on my nipples. Almost like she latches with them. To make matters worse she kneads my breast while nursing, especially while falling asleep and this is just torture. It's not biting, she just has a very strong latch and her teeth are rubbing. Any advice?

Default Re: nipples sore and cracking from nursing 11mth old with teeth!

Ouch! I sometimes have the problem with my 16 month's old's teeth digging into me. She has a strong latch. When those chompers dig into me it can really hurt! Is that what is happening? I will try to get her to re-latch a little bigger and sometimes that does the trick. I also will switch positions or the angle of her head. I was also given the suggestion of lightly messaging the jaw bone area to get the LO to relax a bit. Hopefully some of those tricks might help.

Also, sometimes my DD2 will play and grab my breasts while nursing. I have been given some good scratches by her (a sure sign that it is time to trim her nails!) I will try to pull my shirt down as much as I can so she will play with that. Could you maybe try having an object cuddled in with you so your DD will play with that such as a blanket, stuffed animal, lovey, etc... I have heard of a nursing necklace but have not tried it.

Good luck.
    Mommy to DM 6/21/06 and YR 4/9/08 30 months and counting

Yes that is what is happening, her teeth are digging in.

I did try to get her to put her chin further down today and that seemed to help quite a bit. I have been pulling her lip down and trying to get her mouth open further, sometimes that works too. I think she's catching on, today was better.

I started taking her hand that is free and rubbing or kissing it. This keeps it from kneading or pushing on me and helps her to relax. I think I am going to try a soft blanket or lovey too.

Thanks!!
    Wife of Jacob, our hero
    Mommy of Lilia Grey born September 22nd 2008
    Auntie of Alex, our funny 4th grader!

Makeup artist, studying to be a Bradley Birth Instructor!

peaceloving, treehugging : cloth diaper lover!

One of my very favorite links. . .
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-bab....html#scraping
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Thanks for the link, good advice!
    Wife of Jacob, our hero
    Mommy of Lilia Grey born September 22nd 2008
    Auntie of Alex, our funny 4th grader!

Makeup artist, studying to be a Bradley Birth Instructor!

peaceloving, treehugging : cloth diaper lover!

Any chance you have thrush, too? The cracked part makes me wonder...
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Good advice from pps. I just wanted to concur. Sometimes as babies get older their latch gets lazy. Maybe just having her open up wider will help!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

I know this is coming from a completely different direction, but I had to share because I had this exact issue. Repositioning did very little to give me relief, but I will say the football hold worked best. It's just a little awkward with a toddler.

Anyway, I put my finger to my girl's teeth and they were extremely sharp, so I figured that was my problem. I started giving her baby carrots so she could put her teeth to some good use, maybe soften the edges a bit. Coupled with the football hold, after 3 days, my nipples were fully healed and we could get back to our old routine. I try to remember to keep giving her baby carrots everyday since, but even if I don't normally, a new tooth is a great reminder.