Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastmilk after 6 months

Default Breastmilk after 6 months

Hi

Not entirely sure where to post this so I'll be reasonably random and hope :-D

I have a freezer full of EBM (I EP and until recently produced enough rich milk to feed a small country) and realised to day that my LO is 5 months and 2 weeks old (how time flies). I have heard that the composition of BM changes at around the 6 month mark and, if so, I need to start using my stash.

If the EBM I have in the freezer is not going to be 100% adquate for my LO's needs could I still use it to mix with any food I start to introduce (he already makes a grab for my avocados and bananas and grapes etc but am holding off on actually letting him have any until 6 months minimum) after the 6 month mark or shoudl I start introducing it inot my bottles of ebm? None of it is more than 3 months old as I had major supply issues to begin with and it took me a while to produce enough to store.

Cheers xxx

Default Re: Breastmilk after 6 months

Moving from infant forum to Milk Storage. (and bump)
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I don't think it makes a difference really. Any breastmilk is better than no breastmilk, kwim? Although it isn't exactly right on with her age, the odd bottle here and there wont make any difference. And you could certainly mix it with any food that you wanted to when she's ready for solids

Congrats on storing so much milk! That's great!!!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Agree with pp - sorry don't have more to add myself :-)
    Last edited by @llli*watermaiden; August 25th, 2009 at 03:15 PM.

i would use it..i just used a bottle of milked stored from the end of Jan I think they say 6-9 months is ok...I am starting to use my older frozen milk and pump fresh milk in its place
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

The change in composition is gradual, not sudden. I would suggest using your old stash, but in conjunction with your newer pumpings (either mixing, or alternating bottles). And you could definitely use it with food, since there it is substituting for water, and any bm is worlds better than water!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png