Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increase in pumping output eventually?

Default Increase in pumping output eventually?

Hi Ladies,

I am full of questions today and am truly thankful for your answers and time!

My daughter is 3 months old today. I've been breastfeeding her since she was born in May and pumping since the end of June. Now, I'm back at work.

I now pump at the same time at work, four times a day. I get 4 ounces at 8:15, 3 ounces at 10:15, 2 1/2 ounces at 12:15 and 3 ounces at 2:30. Seems low compared to what I've read many of you are getting on here.

I drink Breastea and lots of water and try to get as much sleep as possible (but we all know how that can go). Will my pumps grow with time? I know that babies don't usually take much more milk from now until six months, right? Just wish I could pump more in fewer pumps.

Is there hope? Thanks again!

Default Re: Increase in pumping output eventually?

I think that your output sounds great mamma!

If you wanted more, I would suggest trying a bowl of oatmeal daily and making sure that you're pumping for about 10 minutes after you see the last drops of milk come out.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Thank you for your quick response! Now that leads to another question...does it matter if it is the instant oatmeal or does it have to be the "real" old fashioned, stove top oatmeal? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juniper79 View Post
    Thank you for your quick response! Now that leads to another question...does it matter if it is the instant oatmeal or does it have to be the "real" old fashioned, stove top oatmeal? Thanks again!
    You can use either.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

My output is pretty similar - usually 4 to 5 ounces at 7:30, 3 to 4 ounces at 11:30 and then 3 ounces at 3:00. I make sure that I have 12 ounces total, so if I don't have enough, then I pump for a very long time in the afternoon. Or if I already have enough, I pump for less time at that last pumping.

how much does your daughter eat every day? That will really dictate how much to pump.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

You could also add a session if you really needed to.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

Thank you for the suggestions! My daughter eats an ounce or two more than I pump during the day. I guess what I'm wondering is will I eventually pump more at each time because I am pumping at the same time each day? Or will the amounts stay the same?

are you massaging/breast compressions while you pump...this sometimes almost doubles my output..i do this the whole 20 min session. In the morning i can get as much as 8...but then it decreases with each pump and i get like 3-4 at night...but i "bank" all that extra in the morning...so it evens out
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

WOW...8 ounces!? The most I've ever pumped was 6 1/2 ounces and I was beeming after. I've started doing the massaging and breast compressions and it helps a little bit, but doesn't seem to make a huge improvement (at least not yet). I've even bumped up my pumping time from 20 to 30 minutes, so that I get another letdown. That last letdown is rather weak, though. Will I eventually see a difference in output if I pump at the same time each day, or does it only depend on how much my DD eats? She's not with me during the day while I'm pumping, so just not sure how it works....