Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frozen Milk Causing Tummy Upset?

Default Frozen Milk Causing Tummy Upset?

Hi Ladies,

I've been breastfeeding my three month old daughter since May and pumping to save up milk since June. This is my second week back at work, so I decided to start rotating my freezer stash and freezing newer milk. I had my sitter give my daughter her first bottle of thawed, frozen milk this morning. My sitter told me she had spit up a bit and started fussing a lot until she let out some loud burps. That isn't like her (she never acts that way with me when I breastfeed or bottle feed her).

I checked the milk this morning (moved it from freezer to fridge last night) and it smelled different but not bad. I've read on here that frozen milk does have a different smell (soapy) but it definitely didn't smell bad. It was also within the time range for storage (was in the freezer for two months).

I guess I just want to know if anyone else on here has had the same experience with thawed, frozen milk? Maybe it was just this batch? I know, I probably sound overly-concerned...

Thanks for listening!

Default Re: Frozen Milk Causing Tummy Upset?

If I had to guess, I would probably say that your milk is just fine, and since your LO was drinking from a bottle instead of nursing, that she probably just drank it too fast, or drank more than she usually takes at a feeding, and that caused her to spit up some and burp. Also, I would think that bottle feeding would allow your LO to unintentionally swallow more air, which could have accounted for her tummy troubles. Next time, you might have the caregiver have your LO take small breaks while drinking a bottle (like after each ounce), and burp her more often during the feeding. That might help.

ETA: Also wanted to say... the soapy thing you read about here is a soapy TASTE, so next time you thaw some milk, taste just a little bit to see if it has that soapy taste to it. If so, then you probably have a lipase problem, and there are LOTS of threads here on lipase and scalding milk after pumping. HTH
    Last edited by @llli*buff24; August 24th, 2009 at 10:40 AM.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Default Re: Frozen Milk Causing Tummy Upset?

That's the thing...my caregiver has been giving her bottles for over a week now and there hasn't been a problem until this morning with that bottle. She actually ate less too. I think I'm probably just being paranoid and it is probably a coincidence. Thank you for your response!