Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: why keep pumping?

Default why keep pumping?

I have read several times of people that pump 5-10 minutes beyond the last deops of milk. What is the purpose of this? Will the milk start to flow again in those 10 minutes or are you all pumping for another reason? I think I am missing out on something.

Proud Vegetarian Momma

Default Re: why keep pumping?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*isaiahsmommy View Post
    I have read several times of people that pump 5-10 minutes beyond the last deops of milk. What is the purpose of this? Will the milk start to flow again in those 10 minutes or are you all pumping for another reason? I think I am missing out on something.
    Pumping for longer will help your supply. If you continue to pump after the last drops of milk come out, you are telling your body that the "baby" is still hungry and to make more milk.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I don't do it either, but I think it signals your body to make more milk the next day at that time. Kind of like when your baby is going through a growth spurt and sucking and sucking until your body gets the picture to make more milk. I had to do it when my daughter was in the NICU at first - I guess to get my milk to come in since that is what she would be doing.

I have pumped longer than normal a few times at work and just kept getting milk out. So I'm not sure how long one would have to stay attached in order to pump after there is no milk.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    Pumping for longer will help your supply. If you continue to pump after the last drops of milk come out, you are telling your body that the "baby" is still hungry and to make more milk.
    WSS. And it is possible that you might get another letdown during that time, so you could end up pumping a little bit more milk.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Thanks ladies! I am going to start going an extra 5 minutes and see what happens.

Proud Vegetarian Momma

What is the maximum amount of time we should pump at a time? I've always wondered that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*isaiahsmommy View Post
    Thanks ladies! I am going to start going an extra 5 minutes and see what happens.
    It worked great for me - but make sure it's at the same time of day, and every day. Also - since the pump isn't as effective as a baby at draining your breast, it helps keep your supply from dropping during the times you're away from your baby (i.e. at work). For instance, if your baby normally gets out 4 oz and you pump 3.5 oz and then tell it you "want more", your body won't decide that you only need to make 3.5 oz at that time (which would let you pump 3 oz, etc.). I made this mistake when I was first pumping at work - i.e. stopping when the milk did - and my supply slowly dropped each day. When I added 5 minutes after each pumping, I was able to get it back up and stable.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juniper79 View Post
    What is the maximum amount of time we should pump at a time? I've always wondered that. Thanks!
    I wouldn't pump for more than 5 (10 max) after the milk has stopped flowing. The other issue is comfort - don't pump to soreness, either, if you can possibly avoid it. How long does your milk flow for when you pump? Mine always flowed for about 15-20 minutes.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

I think the longest I've pumped for was between 25-30 minutes, when I was desperate for another letdown. My milk doesn't flow continuously...I get 3 letdowns in 20 minutes (average). Does that sound average?

I would get 2 letdowns, sometimes 3 if I was really lucky.