Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Son not quite 1, but I need advice from mommas who have already been there!

Default Son not quite 1, but I need advice from mommas who have already been there!

Hi all. My DS will be 11 months in a week, and I am again worrying that he is losing interest in nursing. He is still nursing 4-5 times a day, but the sessions have gotten shorter & shorter. He often finishes nursing his non-fave side within 2 minutes & his fave side within 4-5 minutes. He sleeps well through the night, but I nurse him in his sleep before I go to sleep. This is usually his longest session (about 15-20 min) but tonight's only lasted 5 minutes total. Part of me is worried that my supply is dwindling to nothing (I've noticed my breast size returning to pre-preg size), and part of me is thinking this is normal for his age. I'm curious what other mommas have experienced with nursing frequency and duration of sessions when their children were this age. I'm really hoping to continue nursing as long as possible.

Default Re: Son not quite 1, but I need advice from mommas who have already been there!

When my daughter got to about 8-9 months old, her feeds dropped in duration.

During the day, she will only have one side per feed, and that takes her about 3-5 minutes maximum. During the night, she usually has one feed, and that's about 8-10 mins per side, and she wants both sides.

In total, she has about 5 feeds a day, and that's at 13 months old.

I think it's totally normal they spend less time nursing. They're so efficient by this stage at getting the milk, plus they're getting other food from solids.

We do still have moments during the day when she will just comfort suck, she's not actually getting milk out, but doesn't want to let go.
    Alison, mummy to Erin
    Born @ 30 weeks, 2nd July 2008, 3lb 11oz, fully breastfed

cloth nappy wearing bub.

Default Re: Son not quite 1, but I need advice from mommas who have already been there!

Thanks ooligator for your post... definitely reassures me! I know a lot of moms who BF, but most either didn't make it this long or were only pumping & giving bottles at this point... so I haven't had a good point of reference. Thanks again!

I have struggled with this all summer! My lo is 14 mo. old and doesn't nurse often. But she still nurses! That's what I'm happy about. Your baby sounds totally normal. Don't stop offering! And you can find gentle ways to offer and nurse (in a dark room, after cuddling and reading a book, feeding him while he is sleeping/sleepy). Hope things work out for you! You're not alone.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

DS got really fast around a year, too. I think that he was so busy that he wanted to nurse and get back to whatever he was doing. The only time he would nurse for a long time is when he was tired (or if he had a boo-boo). The funny thing was, a few months later he discovered that he liked cuddling, and slowed his sessions down. Now he's almost two , and it's about half-and-half - sometimes he's all about efficiency, and sometimes he wants to cuddle. (He nurses about 4 times a day or so.)

It stinks about the boob shrinkage, doesn't it? I thought that was going to be a fun side benefit of nursing, but mine went back to almost my pre-pregnancy size when DS was about 10mo. Aargh. Never thought I'd want big boobs, but once I had them, I didn't want to give them back.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png