Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: trying to introduce bottle to go back to work.

Unhappy trying to introduce bottle to go back to work.

I am trying to introduce the bottle to my one month old. she refuses to take it. i have to go back to work in 2 weeks. I am using a platex nurser with the larger nipple that is supposed to be more like mothers nipple. and i am using breast milk. My doctor told me to only offer the bottle and not give her the breast or she will never take it. but I think he is wrong. please help

Default Re: trying to introduce bottle to go back to work.

Yes, your doc is wrong! Does not sound like a pro-BF doctor. Are you the one trying to feed your LO a bottle. DS will not take a bottle from me and also won't take it from DH if I'm in the room. He takes it just fine from DH when I'm at work. We also went through a lot of nipples b/f we found one DS liked. He prefers the Avent. I have heard that NUK is good and there is a nipple you can buy on line that's supposed to be most like the breast http://www.adiri.com/main/index.php.

HTH

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bottle.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

These are a couple of links that you might find useful. You WILL find a way that works for you. Do you have someone else to try and give baby the bottle? A lot of times the baby won't take the bottle from mom.
    I used the Playtex nipple with success for several months, but there are a lot of different nipple choices out there. Some have said that Dr. Brown's is a good one. There are actually a couple of threads on this forum totally devoted to dicussing the merits of various nipples.
    It is probably best to stick with a "slow" flow nipple to help avoid nipple preference, which can happen when baby gets milk more easily from a bottle than from mom.
    There are also alternatives to the bottle, described in the links above.
    I think you should keep offering the breast even if your baby doesn't take the bottle, although maybe not immediately. Don't wait until your baby is crying from hunger, though. As a rule of thumb, if your baby is hungry, feed her! Not feeding her will not teach her to take a bottle, but will make the whole experience traumatic for her.
    How is pumping going? Since you have two weeks before you start, I would try to build up a back-up supply in that time.
    Last edited by mollyb; September 12th, 2006 at 03:05 PM.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I was totally unsuccessful with a bottle with my first. I was lucky enough to have a caregiver bring her to me during my lunch so I could feed her. She was 5mo when I went back to work. I introduced a bottle (Dr. Browns) to my 2nd and he is doing pretty well with it. I started at 4 weeks and tried every other day usually during a sleepy time. He did much better when I was out of the room, but now at 5mo he will take bottle from me but never more than a few ounces. If you need your baby to take a bottle because of work rather than once in a while then you need to try a bottle everyday. Make sure EBM is warm. I used fresh milk too at first, sometimes babies refuse frozen or day old pumped milk. I tried the medela bottles but found that sticking with one type of nipple worked best for me. You could also try a small cup with new baby and later on a sippy, that worked best for my first. I tended to let caregiver feed her solids and I nursed at night, she reversed her cycle so nursed a lot during the evening hours. Good luck!