Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirena IUD and breastfeeding

Default Mirena IUD and breastfeeding

I was just curious if anyone as used the Mirena IUD while breastfeeding and what your thoughts were. I was told I could either use the IUD or the mini-pill while nursing. I chose the IUD because I actually got pregnant while using the mini-pill. I have had it in for about 10 weeks and so far I have been spotting on and off up to this point. It's frustrating.
    Does it have any effects on the breastmilk that you know of? And does it change your hormones at all? The only benefit so far is my migraines have completely disappeared... so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with having the IUD.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
    and and

Emily, wife to Andrew, first time momma to Benjamin~ born 4-20-09

Default Re: Mirena IUD and breastfeeding

from what I understand, the Mirena IUD has only progesterone (same as the mini pill) and *shouldn't* affect supply. HOWEVER, some people find that it does decrease supply, as does the mini pill for some people. It doesn't have any effect on the breastmilk itself though
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

with Jenn: the only effect that Mirena has on the milk is to decrease supply in some- but by no means all!- women. If you haven't had a supply issue, then there's no reason to be concerned.

The other side-effect you mentioned- spotting and migraines disappearing- sound like they are Mirena-related. Spotting is really common when starting hormonal BC, but it tends to taper off as time goes on. Migraines in reproductive-age women can be related to the menstrual cycle, and the rise and fall of estrogen throughout the month. Hormonal BC damps that cycle down by tricking your body into believing that it's a little bit pregnant. So, for some lucky women on hormonal BC: no estrogen roller coaster, no migraines!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks ladies!

I don't seem to have an issue with my supply. But, I do take Fenugreek and eat oatmeal every morning just because I'm paranoid something *will* happen.
    It's just strange because I was on normal b/c pills for about 8 years and then switched to the mini pill about 2 years ago because my pcp thought it would help with my migraines. Thank goodness he made the suggestion because I now have my little miracle! But, that didn't help with the migraines at all. And now since going through a pregnancy and nursing (and having the IUD) they have completely disappeared! It's wonderful!
    I am kind of regretting having the IUD put in because we are now thinking we'd like to have another child in less than 2 years and it wasn't a pleasant experience having it put in. And now I'm scared to have it taken out.
    Anyway... thanks for the replies!!
    and and

I just got the iud put in a couple months ago i'm still spotting btw i hate it! BUT My daughter was 16 months when i got the iud put in so my milk wasnt effected whatsoever at least she didnt seem to mind!?

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

I was very upset when I got my period back 8 WEEKS after my daughter was born, despite exclusively nursing on demand and co-sleeping. I had the Mirena put in because I am horrible about taking pills and we didn't want to take any chances. I love it!! I never noticed anything different in my milk supply, she steadily gained weight and thrived. she's 11mths and in the 95th percentile in height and weight. I too had the spotting for a few weeks, but the trade off is my periods are VERY light now, spotting on and off for a week and that's it. No weight gain, loss in fact (probably the nursing!) hopefully it will be that way for you too!
    Wife of Jacob, our hero
    Mommy of Lilia Grey born September 22nd 2008
    Auntie of Alex, our funny 4th grader!

Makeup artist, studying to be a Bradley Birth Instructor!

peaceloving, treehugging : cloth diaper lover!

I have the Mirena IUD. I had it placed 6 wks after dd was born. I've had NO problems. I love it! I haven't had any reduction in milk (I actually have OS) and my spotting stopped in less than a month. I still haven't had a period (it's been 17 wks) and my doc said some people never do! I wouldn't give it up for anything!
    First time Mom to Lilly 4-30-09 and have been
    and since.

Lotus~ I hope so! I'm just hoping I can tell if I start my period because I'm spotting every day (very light, usually just once or twice during the day).

When you start your period after childbirth, does it feel the same? Normal cramping, etc? Just curious...

Lillypie~ You are giving me hope that the spotting will stop! I really hope it does soon and my body isn't "rejecting" it or something weird.

Has anyone had the IUD taken out? I'm just wondering if it's the same kind of pain as when they put it in. Unless it didn't hurt anyone else and I'm just a huge wimp! But, I passed out afterwards!
    and and

When you start your period after childbirth, does it feel the same? Normal cramping, etc? Just curious...
    It depends on the mom. A lot of moms notice that their first few cycles are wonky- heavier/lighter/longer/shorter than average.

But since you have the Mirena in, your period is unlikely to be the same as pre-baby. Mirena tends to make your period shorter and lighter, and may even make it stop.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I just had my six week visit and my OB told me about Paragard, another IUC option. No hormones, but your flow might increase. A IUC without hormones was important to me too, I was worried about how they would affect my LO. Hope this helps!