Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirena IUD and breastfeeding

Default Re: Mirena IUD and breastfeeding

BUMP.

I would like to hear everyone's current opinion and experience on Mirena and breastfeeding. Pros and cons. How it affected your bf relationship. My OBGYN recommended it for BC because I am not sure if I want any more kids, and if I do, it won't be for a few years.

Thanks

I was really, really paranoid about supply issues AND I detest hormonal birth control (in the past, the pill gave me what seemed like non-stop PMS) so I had the Paragard IUD inserted about 2 months ago (when my son was 5 months old). NO issues! It's been perfect! I had a bit of spotting and the insertion hurt, I'm not gonna lie. Otherwise it's the perfect birth control

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bensmom View Post
    Has anyone had the IUD taken out? I'm just wondering if it's the same kind of pain as when they put it in. Unless it didn't hurt anyone else and I'm just a huge wimp! But, I passed out afterwards!
    I had mirena with my last son and it hurt putting in but I truly felt no pain when it was taken out! Good luck!
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

i had th iud pput in @ 6-7 weeks and it didnt really effect my supply. i was worried to death about it, but it was for nauht

the spotting shouldnt last more than a month tho, i spotted offa n on for a month or so afterward, the first week was mostly i think a mix of blood and the iodine

but with the hormaones, the way i see it is that its going straight at the source, not going thru the blood steam which might effect supply with the pill.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

I had it put in at 7 months postpartum and had no issues with supply. Having it put in was probably the most painful experience of my life (and I had a natural birth) but it has really been worth it. I love not taking a pill everyday, and I have had some light spotting off and on but no cramps at all.

The mirena causes serious damage to the female body, and the only way to get rid of these side effects for good is to remove the mirena and take natural supplements, herbs and foods and consider natural therapies that will eliminate estrogen dominance, help restore the balance of progesterone and estrogen hormones, and detoxify the body from all the toxins present in mirena such as silicone and copper. mirenadetox has been immensely helpful to my recovery and I seriously recommend it

Hello mamas. My princesses is 9 months old and doing wonderfully. After giving birth to my angel, I bleed my whole 6 weeks. After having my 6 week check-up about 2 days later it stopped. I scheduled another appointment after my 6 week check-up and got Mirena IUD put in. Yes, it was a bit uncomfortable for me. I was told by my doctor this would not interfere with my milk supply. After this I bleed for about 2 months straight. Ugh, totally annoying. I thought it would never stop. Since then I haven't gotten a period or bleed not even once. It's been great, but it makes me wonder if this is health for my body. I haven't seen a decrease in milk. I however do get some cramp like pains here and there. I believe I'm ovulating or going through the menstrual process cause I do feel my boobs softer when this happens. I'm not sure that milk decreases or not. Just thought I'd share my current experiences cause I'm still getting use to the fact not having a period. Is this healthy? I have noticed though when I'm supposedly going through cycle or ovulation my body is more tired than usual. So I really don't know if I will keep on with it. Don't get me wrong I love not having a menstrual cycle, but is it really safe and wise to trick your body?
    Last edited by @llli*american.honey; September 3rd, 2014 at 12:22 AM.

It might not be the IUD stopping your periods it might be the breastfeeding... Not sure there is any clear cut way to tell! (Unless they return at some point then it was the breastfeeding!)