Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mama losing too much weight?

Default Mama losing too much weight?

So I know everyone wants to lose their baby weight- but what happens when it happens super quick??? I am currently breastfeeding an 8 month old and pumping once for donor milk.

I weighed myself last night and realized I had lost FIVE POUNDS IN ONE MONTH! Now below prepregnancy weight. It's got me really worried. Can breastfeeding cause your weight to plummet like that?

Other factors involved- I just started a new job, due to involvement in getting a classroom ready, so I've skipped meals. I also picked up a pump session at night to donate milk to a local family. I am not exhausted- have a great energy level and eat a reasonable fruit and veggie full diet.

I know I'm just being crazy and paranoid- but could all that and breastfeeding cause me to lose five lbs in a month?? I'm afraid it could be something scary causing my weight to plummet!!!!

Any advice to keep weight on?

Default Re: Mama losing too much weight?

I don't think you are being crazy and paranoid. Rapid weight loss can indicate health issues, and if you were borderline or underweight to begin with, it might really be a problem. On the other hand, when weight loss is desired, the loss of 5 pounds in a month is probably not "too fast."

But why blame breastfeeding? Lactation and nursing a child is a normal biological process and a normal and expected part of the reproductive system of humans. There is no reason breastfeeding would harm a mothers health, although most mothers do tend to want and need to increase calorie intake to some degree while nursing. But not some extraordinary amount, typically.

A demanding job, stress, and skipping meals, on the other hand, certainly might cause rapid weight loss even if a mother is not lactating.

and pumping "extra" in order to donate ones milk, while very laudable, is outside the 'norm' of breastfeeding, so that might be impactful as well. Producing milk does take energy- ie, calories.

If you eat lots of fruits and veges, those do not exactly pack on the calories. Maybe make sure you are also eating some healthy fats-meat, nuts, etc?

Thank you so much for a quick response! Oh please don't get the wrong idea- I truly wasn't trying to blame breastfeeding, I was seeing if breastfeeding was a reasonable explanation for that much weight loss in a month given the other factors. I guess I was trying to see if that could be normal just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this, since I hardly lost any weight breastfeeding my daughter two years ago...

I am trying to up my daily good intake to see if that stabilizes my weight. Nuts and proteins are a great suggestion!!!

I actually went to the doctor for this exact thing. I thought that my pregnancy had maybe caused my thryroid to be out of wack (hyperthroidism) since I had lost 30 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight at 8 months postpartum. My blood work come back fine and all my doctor said was "maybe cut back on breast feeding". At that point I decided she wasn't the doctor for me anymore. :/

I'm going to try increasing my caloric intake with good foods (I was eating lots but it was all junk) and go from there. So, I don't have any advise for you but I just wanted to let you know, you're not alone.

Thank you for the solidarity post, chelcrae90 I had "transient hyperthyroidism" during pregnancy but my levels evened out- please excuse my ignorance, but that could change postpartum? Worth a check for sure! Right now I'm trying not to skip meals (wasn't on purpose, just busy) and trying to snack more. I'm going to give it a month to see where I'm at.

Cut back on breastfeeding? Oh the things dr.'s say my doctor asked me if breastfeeding was "more a need for me or my daughter" when I explained that I was still breastfeeding at 14 months! She loved it when I told her I was going to let my son wean himself- I think I stay with her to annoy her... And have to for my insurance

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jtmmh View Post
    Thank you so much for a quick response! Oh please don't get the wrong idea- I truly wasn't trying to blame breastfeeding, I was seeing if breastfeeding was a reasonable explanation for that much weight loss in a month given the other factors. I guess I was trying to see if that could be normal just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this, since I hardly lost any weight breastfeeding my daughter two years ago...

I am trying to up my daily good intake to see if that stabilizes my weight. Nuts and proteins are a great suggestion!!!
    Ok, I understand better your question now. So I would say it is NOT normal for breastfeeding alone to cause rapid weight loss at this age. Typically breastfeeding mothers tend to lose their "baby weight" more rapidly with little or no extra effort in the early months than moms who do not nurse. IN fact some (not all) find they can eat quite a bit and still lose that pregnancy weight. So that IS entirely normal. Also I think some moms do find that this early weight loss continues beyond the early months or is causing mom to be unhealthily underweight, and they may find they need to up their calorie intake. But weight loss that onsets post 6 months, or is taking you to an unhealthy weight? That would be more unusual and might indicate some illness or condition. And if this was the only factor, I would say it is a good idea to be tested like pp just to rule out a health issues.
    In your case, you know you are not probably not eating enough. Right? Skipping meals is not usually healthy for anyone, even someone who is trying to lose weight!

However, if you think something is possibly wrong, no reason to not get checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jtmmh View Post
    I had "transient hyperthyroidism" during pregnancy but my levels evened out- please excuse my ignorance, but that could change postpartum?
    YES! Approximately 1-5% of women develop something called postpartum thyroiditis in the year following childbirth. Women who have a personal or family history of thyroid problems are more likely to be in that 1-5%. If you haven't been checked since pregnancy, now is an excellent time to get checked again.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I lost a lot of weight when I was BF'ing my first. I was 10 pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight at my 6 week checkup (so lost 35 pounds) and lost another 20 pounds by the time I went back to work. And another 10 over the next year.

My thyroid tested fine. And let's just say that I could afford to loose the weight.

I think in my case, it really was the breastfeeding. My son is now 2 and I swear he often eats more than DH and I do! In hindsight, I really wonder how much milk he was getting from me! I am sure it was more than average.

Just to warn you, as he transitioned to solids and I stopped pumping at work, the weight started to come back. And I am now BF'ing #2 and am not loosing weight at all.