Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pulling at nipple

Default Pulling at nipple

Hello,
    My 3 week old son keeps moving his head around and pulling at my left nipple towards the end of a feed. It gets very sore and feels very bruised. I've tried burping him, but once back on he does exactly the same. I definately have more milk left as I've checked. What could be causing his behaviour on only one side? Thank you

Default Re: Pulling at nipple

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kirstlou View Post
    Hello,
    My 3 week old son keeps moving his head around and pulling at my left nipple towards the end of a feed. It gets very sore and feels very bruised. I've tried burping him, but once back on he does exactly the same. I definately have more milk left as I've checked. What could be causing his behaviour on only one side? Thank you
    It is not uncommon for babies to favor one side over the other. My LO sometime won't take my Left unless it is in football hold. Other times he just wants the Right first but will take the Left after a little while.

As to the pulling, I've experienced that and am not sure how to stop it.

Default Re: Pulling at nipple

My baby does that on my right side whenever he hears noise from outside. He has to see what's happening so he turns his head while still latched on. It doesn't hurt me but it's quite uncomfortable. This left me with a permanent bruise on the right side, which doesn't bother me so I'm leaving it as is. I figured out it's only on that side because he the other side doesn't give him any vantage point of peeking so he doesn't bother when he's there. I should sit the other way when I nurse (at home I only nurse in one place, same position each time).
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/