Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2 yo begging for cow's milk

Default Re: 2 yo begging for cow's milk

Thank-you sch.mommy for the reminder. I think this should be a place where women are supported for bf as long as they can or choose to do. No woman should be judged for her choices re: feeding her baby. Encouraged, yes, judged, no. So great post!

Lorraine, I am with you 100%. Let's start a thread somewhere about this - I'm not sure where it would fit - mothering after bf?? Maybe? Let me know what you think. But I believe it is an excellent thread to have - juggling career, ideals, mothering, etc.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

dr sears has some great info on cows milk on his web site.
    We have a great dairy near us that isn't organic they didn't want to pay for the licence , they don't break up the fat in the milk so the cream comes to the top.
    Much healthier way to drink milk and its so tastey.

I use some milk in cooking but at our house we don't drink much of it.
    I found the kids wanted to eat bowl after bowl of cold cereal and not eat fruits and veggies so I stopped with the milk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*janelle525 View Post
    I genuinely wanted to know why it has become such a standard to start offering dairy? and I also made the comment because I think a lot of people don't know that the milk they buy from the store is very unhealthy. I guess I am just too passionate about nutrition. I am sorry I come off as making people feel guilty. I understand many Moms just can't do it, but I also know that the calcium from plants are much more readily available to the body than that of the pasteurized cows milk. Which has been such a marketing scam by the dairy industry to say that "it does a body good". Yes, our soil is becoming depleted, but even still... pasteurized milk does not give the body what it needs. I just hope Moms will be informed, thats all. And I want to know why people aren't successful breastfeeding, so that maybe we can all find answers.
    If you are interested in nutrition, and why milk is good, you should read "Nourishing Traditions". Cow's can be raised on soils not suitable for vegetables--like the soils I live on. Actually, its not so much the soil but the short growing season (20 frost free days a year), and cows can graze on the forest, where you would have to cut down trees to grow veggies.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Good point!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    Lorraine, I am with you 100%. Let's start a thread somewhere about this - I'm not sure where it would fit - mothering after bf?? Maybe? Let me know what you think. But I believe it is an excellent thread to have - juggling career, ideals, mothering, etc.
    Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread. Saturday is my daughter's birthday and I've got family from both sides coming into town and I'm getting ready for a vacation in mid-September.

This would be a great thread. If I have time today I'll try to start it. Feel free to start it if you want (if you already haven't :-) I'll have to go look.

Peace,
    Lorraine

Sorry, I just started teaching full time. Haven't started it, yet. If I don't see anything, I'll try to post something over the weekend.
    Erica

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    Sorry, I just started teaching full time. Haven't started it, yet. If I don't see anything, I'll try to post something over the weekend.
    Erica
    If you're still here reading this thread, and interested in the alternate thread. I posted last week and got several interesting replies. I hope the start of the new school year is going well for you!
    peace,
    Lorraine

Thanks for posting! I just looked over the thread - we are preparing for a yard sale (to get rid of junk, junk, junk!) So, I'll have to read the whole thing and post more later - but a GREAT thread! You got some great responses.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months