Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 yo begging for cow's milk

Default 2 yo begging for cow's milk

My daughter (she'll turn 2 next Saturday) started begging me for cow's milk one day about a month ago. She wanted it so badly that I gave her about an ounce. She loved it and periodically begs me for it. I'm starting to wonder why I'm withholding something from her that she loves. My biggest concern is that she will be getting too much dairy (she already eats and loves cheese and yogurt almost every day). She is getting her 2 year molars and is asking to nurse just about every hour of the day (and still wakes 2-4 x's a night). I was so tired of nursing her the other day that when she asked to nurse again, I offered her about 2 oz of cow's milk. She gulped it down and asked for more and forgot about nursing (which brings a new concern to mind, my supply is dwindling and I should be giving her cow's milk). Offering her an alternative to nursing on days when she is on me all day is appealing. In general she has always been a frequent nurser and over the last few months has been nursing about 4-6 times in the day and 2-4 times at night.

I'm reluctant to give her cow's milk because I'm afraid she will replace my milk with cow's milk in her diet. I'm reading LLL's How Weaning Happens because I'm really unsure how to transition from my milk to cow's milk or how much cow's milk a toddler should have. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any insight or encouragement.

Default Re: 2 yo begging for cow's milk

I would go ahead and give her the cow's milk when she asks for it. maybe try giving her about 4 oz at a time. The thing with weaning is it happens slowly and if she wants to nurse she will, if she does not want to nurse than she is outgrowing the need. as difficult as the transition may be, it will happen eventually. It does not sound though like she is extremely close to weaning on her own if she still nurses hourly though. If you do feel that she is getting too much dairy you could cut out one serving of yogurt or cheese, but I would not be too worried unless she is having problems with constipation.
    Just remember that you have done a great job so far BF for 2 years!
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

If she's asking for it then give it to her. Like PP said just watch for any tummy troubles. If you want to limit the amount of dairy she gets then offer her yogurt or milk and let her know she can only have one. The body processes milk differently then it does yogurt and cheese so she should be fine. My DS is constantly asking for milk too but we have to limit how much he has due to stomach issues.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

You could also cut it a bit w/almond or rice milk (as long as there are no allergies) Mix it together.

How about a yogurt shake instead of cow's milk? I have to admit that I am not a fan of cow's milk (at all, but especially for infants and toddlers). In my opinion, from different things I've read, it isn't really as healthy for us as most people think (but that's again, my opinion). I totally think that if she wants something besides nursing you should let her have it, but I just wonder if a yummy yogurt shake (with banana, fruit, ice, etc. in a blender) might do the trick and you can avoid cow's milk altogether (and still give her the cheese, too!)

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Definitely do some research on cow's milk and some alternatives, and find out how much calcium they actually need. Calcium can also come from some kinds of veggies.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Thanks for the support and replies. My instinct says to let her have some cow's milk. I know this is a bit controversial but I would prefer to give her raw milk. Unfortunately here in Illinois it is illegal and a bit hard to find (although not impossible).

@shannon75 - Thanks for the idea to offer her almond or rice milk. I might try rice or soy milk. I haven't introduced any nuts yet because she is allergic to eggs and there is a family history of nut allergy.

@eelme.eelme1 - I think she would love a yogurt shake with fruit but I don't think she'd take it when she wants milk. She loves yogurt but she knows what she wants. ;-) I'm curious about the concerns about cow's milk. I've been curious about why some people think milk is unhealthy (raw milk from happy, healthy organically raised cows - I understand the problems with conventional milk). I just haven't taken the time to research the concerns. If you (or anybody else) can point me to a good scientifically based research with a concise description of the concerns I would be interested in checking that out.

thanks!
    Lorraine

I'm sorry for not being more clear. I should have said that I don't agree with giving an infant or a toddler conventional milk and it sounds like you already know about that.

I totally agree with drinking raw milk. I actually have a farm 5 minutes from my house that sells raw goat's milk. I don't care what anyone thinks. That's what I gave my first baby as a supplement from 10 mo. on. I am currently introducing it my second baby's diet (as she is almost 14 mo. and going back to daycare next week.)

I actually don't have any specific scientifically researched data for you about cow's milk. Have you read the Maker's Diet by Jordan Rueben? That is one of the best books I've read about healthy eating. That's where I base most of my dietary decisions for our family. The only other thing I can add from that book and different discussions with moms is that the larger the animal (like a cow), the larger the protein in the milk, the harder it is for us to digest. A goat is a smaller animal, thus a smaller milk protein, thus easier to digest. The Maker's Diet strongly encourages goat milk products over cow's milk...Does that make sense?

Sorry to go on so long, but I think these additional thoughts might be helpful.

Erica

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Raw milk is a terrific source of nutrition! And at the age of 2, I certainly wouldn't worry too much about cow's milk replacing nursing completely--sounds like you could use the break from constant nursing anyway (I wish my ds were so easily persuaded to try something instead of nursing ). Check out realmilk.com and you might find a source of raw milk in your area.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

maybe someone could answer this, but I am wondering why we give toddlers milk from an animal's mammmary glands when we have our own? and especially if they are still producing! I am definitely not a fan of the highly processed, pastuerized, homegenized (which changes the molecule structure), pus-growth hormone-toxin-laden factory farmed milk of today... which I think has no nutritional value whatsoever! in fact... baby cows die after 6 months on it! raw milk on the otherhand... sure it has loads of benefits... but doesn't human milk have way more?! even if my son tries it and likes it... I wil not be offering it because raw milk is hard to find even in the midwest Omaha Nebraska. I will not criticize, I only question! So again, why are we giving an animal's milk instead of our own?
    And I love that you made it two years!! And still going!! do you want to wean? is that why you want to offer cow's milk instead?
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12