Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to Pumping

Default New to Pumping

I am going to be returning to college and need some advice on pumping milk for my mom to be able to feed my son while she watches him. What i am wanting to know is.....

1) How often should i pump? (I am still feeding him on the breast at home)
    2) Should i pump on both breasts or just the breast my son doesn't feed on? (He doesn't usually feed on both breasts in one feeding)
    3) How long should i pump for on each breast?

Thank you for your time and advice!

Default Re: New to Pumping

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kbwagner View Post
    I am going to be returning to college and need some advice on pumping milk for my mom to be able to feed my son while she watches him. What i am wanting to know is.....

1) How often should i pump? (I am still feeding him on the breast at home)
    2) Should i pump on both breasts or just the breast my son doesn't feed on? (He doesn't usually feed on both breasts in one feeding)
    3) How long should i pump for on each breast?

Thank you for your time and advice!
    mamma! You have come to the right place for support!

If your DS is only feeding on one breast at a time, I would suggest nursing and pumping at the same time. You can do this as often as you would like. I usually pump for about 10 minutes after the last drops of milk comes out.

Here is a great link about how much milk your DS will need while you are away.

mamma!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

!

ITA with mammaof2. One more thing - if you find that you still need more milk, you can add a pumping session. Your supply is highest in the morning, so 30-45 minutes after your DD's first nurse of the day is a great time to pump. If you keep going 5-10 minutes after the milk stops flowing, it tells your body that the "baby" is still "hungry", and it will start making more at that time of day. (Just be sure to pump every day at approximately the same time.)
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I am also about to go back to school. . .I won't get a break to pump for 4-5 hrs my daughter is almost 6 mos I've tried some trials w not pumping for 4 hrs and have leaked all over my shirt. Has anyone mastered this for an exclusively bf baby? I can pump for about 30 mins at the end of that 4 or so hrs, & I know my milk will eventually adjust but will this be enough milk for her?
    Also can anyone suggest good pads. . .I won't use disposable but the reusable ones seem to not stand up to the job. Just wonder if there's something I'm missing.
    thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*angiebbecerra View Post
    Also can anyone suggest good pads. . .I won't use disposable but the reusable ones seem to not stand up to the job. Just wonder if there's something I'm missing.
    I liked these pads (near the bottom of the page). They were really comfortable, and they stayed in place well. I didn't have a lot of leaking, but my friend who did loved these pads too. (She borrowed a pair when she was over and soaked through the ones she had been using. I never did get them back, and she switched to this brand.)
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png