Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk storage questions

Default milk storage questions

Hi! I have a couple of questions.. I am a first timer at this (breastfeeding and being a mom lol)

1. Once I warm refrigerated milk, how long can it stay at room temp before it is no longer good?

Sometimes my DD doesn't eat much of her bottle, and I don't want to waste the milk if I don't have to.

2. Same question for frozen milk.. once it is warmed.

I JUST thawed frozen milk for the first time, thinking my DD was hungry.. she fell asleep.. lol.. so i'm wondering how long I can keep it at room temp?

3. After I have thawed frozen milk, can I store it in the fridge? And if so, for how long?

Sorry if this is confusing, but I don't know too many people that BF.. so I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks!!

Default Re: milk storage questions

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2makenna View Post
    Hi! I have a couple of questions.. I am a first timer at this (breastfeeding and being a mom lol)

1. Once I warm refrigerated milk, how long can it stay at room temp before it is no longer good?

Sometimes my DD doesn't eat much of her bottle, and I don't want to waste the milk if I don't have to.

2. Same question for frozen milk.. once it is warmed.

I JUST thawed frozen milk for the first time, thinking my DD was hungry.. she fell asleep.. lol.. so i'm wondering how long I can keep it at room temp?

3. After I have thawed frozen milk, can I store it in the fridge? And if so, for how long?

Sorry if this is confusing, but I don't know too many people that BF.. so I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks!!
    !
    1) If your DD doesn't eat much of her bottle, you can put it back in the refrigerator (or cooler pack) and offer it to her at her next feeding. (I wouldn't mix it with any "fresh" milk, because then all of the milk is as "old" as the oldest milk.) It would probably be okay if you left it out, but why chance it, KWIM? After all, you wouldn't leave your food out for hours.
    2) As above - I wouldn't keep it at room temperature; I would put it back in the fridge.
    3) After you thaw frozen milk, it is good for 24 hours in the fridge.

Here is a great resource about milk storage/handling.

And one more thing - when in doubt, sniff/taste a drop. If it has gone off, it is very obvious!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I personally have whoever is watching dd reuse the bottle at the next feeding as long as it has been less than 4 hours. I have them put it in the fridge and take it back out when she is hungry. And thawed milk is good for 24 hours in the fridge.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tmwmommy View Post
    I personally have whoever is watching dd reuse the bottle at the next feeding as long as it has been less than 4 hours. I have them put it in the fridge and take it back out when she is hungry. And thawed milk is good for 24 hours in the fridge.
    Oops - I forgot about the "within 4 hours" thing - probably because DS has NEVER gone 4 hours without nursing or eating (now that he's on mostly solids, he eats all.the.time - I to think of my food bill when he's a teen).
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png