Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cold milk?

Default Cold milk?

I exclusively pump and keep bottles in the fridge for me and my husband to feed our DD. Normally, when I put her to bed, I bring a bottle from the fridge to the nursery so that it is room temp by the time she gets up - that way I don't have to fuss with warming a bottle with a hungry baby at 3am!

My question is - last night my husband forgot to bring up a bottle. Could I have given DD the cold milk straight from the fridge? I wasn't sure, so I warmed it, but it would have been so much easier if I could have given it cold.

Default Re: Cold milk?

My LO has almost always taken milk straight from the fridge. I think it is up to the baby. Some will, some won't. Good luck that yours will!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

We rarely ever warmed bottles, much to the dismay of MIL, and he took them fine and still does. At first it was because he was not patient enough to give us time to warm them and then it was just normal to be chilled. They get used to what you give them as they really don't have a reference point.
    First time Mom to Baylor born 11/16/2008

I love and.

I like to warm breast milk bottles a bit because the fat mixes in easier that way.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

WHen you take the bottle to the nursery at night, how long is it sitting out? HOw long can you leave refrigerated milk out w/o it going bad?

(This is good news as I was just thinking of how to do it when I go on my 1st work trip next week for 2 days and DH has to do night feeding w/ EBM bottles...)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kellynewmom View Post
    WHen you take the bottle to the nursery at night, how long is it sitting out? HOw long can you leave refrigerated milk out w/o it going bad?

(This is good news as I was just thinking of how to do it when I go on my 1st work trip next week for 2 days and DH has to do night feeding w/ EBM bottles...)
    up to 6-8 hrs
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

My husband always just pulled a bottle of bm out of the fridge, swirled it a little, then handed it to the little guy, who never complained once. Both of them are low-key, low maintenance kind of guys, and it totally worked. The nanny runs it under warm tap water just enough to get the fat off the sides of the bottle, but otherwise it's barely warm. DS seems to like bm any way he can get it!
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

I have been EP for 8 weeks now and have never heated the breastmilk after refrigerating it. Honestly, the thought didn't occur to me until my MIL asked about it! My DD takes the chilled milk just fine, but has no reference point since we've never heated the bottles. It makes life much easier that she'll drink anything... chilled, room temperature, or just pumped BM that's warm.