Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: To pump or not to pump

Default To pump or not to pump

I just went back to work last week, when my daughter turned 5 months old. I will mostly be working at home, but will go into the office for 3 hours a day 3 times a week. I have a massive supply of milk in my freezer (I was an exclusive pumper for 2 months while my 33 week preemie adjusted to life and then was a habitual, but unnecessary pumper) so my husband has been using that milk while I have been gone so far. I also have a serious supply and have never had a problem with a decrease, even on particularly slow nursing days - in fact I have struggled with OAL/oversupply. Wondering if there is a question? I would like to know if it is necessary for me to pump while I am gone. My office has been extremely flexible with me from the beginning. I started the job pregnant, got really sick and missed a lot of time, then left suddenly 2 months early because the baby was early. I then took 2 months longer than I said I would and had them switch their policy to allow me to work from home. How can I now demand a break to pump when I am only there for 3 hours (and did I mention that I am only contract – don’t really want to push it, this is a really great gig)? Not to mention that my options of places to pump are slim since all offices and conference rooms have glass doors and windows. The time that it would take me to set up, pump and clean up would be a huge chunk of the time I’m there.
    The other thing is that my daughter has taken to refusing the bottle, and only occasionally eating while I am gone, most of which ends up being a game and not nutrition anyway. I'm wondering if I don't pump and she does not always eat while I am gone if I will have any issues? Do I really need to pump when she eats without me?

Thanks to all who took the time to read this long and jumbled post! Can you tell I'm paranoid about being a good mom and still finding a way to work?!?

Default Re: To pump or not to pump

If you can feed her right before you leave and then as soon as you get back home you can probably go without pumping. But- to be on the safe side I'd take your pump with you to work every day just in case you get stuck there or in traffic or something like that.

i agree with the pp. if work isn't too far from home, you should be fine with nursing her right before you leave for work and as soon as you get home...and to be on the safe side, it would be good to have your pump with you in case, for some reason, you needed to stay longer at work.

also, if you don't feel full, uncomfortable, or engorged while you are away from your dd, then you might be okay without pumping while you're at work...and if you have an oversupply, i think you should be fine without pumping for a missed feeding. pumping for a missed feeding is primarily to maintain one's milk supply.

hth!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I also agree with the PPs, with the reminder to pay attention to your body-if you feel like you're suddenly having a decrease in supply, you might want to rethink things. But, it really sounds like you will be just fine.
    Best of luck getting back to work. It sounds like you have a job that is going to work well for you and your family.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thank you everyone for your advice. It sometimes helps just to have a little encouragement. I do feed her right before, and can even feed her in the parking lot because I meet my husband there for the switch. I live only 10 minutes from my job, so the whole situation is extremely convenient. Don't want to jinx it though!

I agree with the others. My daughter waits it out for me for 4.5-5 hours every day while I work and refuses the bottle. I do pump during that time, but I am gone for longer than you will be. I just feed her right before I leave and as soon as I return. I think for 3 hours it should be okay to not pump.
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)