Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby acne or allergies

Default baby acne or allergies

My 6 week old started having baby acne a few weeks ago. Since then it changed and his face got really rough and rash like. I thought it was due to his scratching using his fists which he usually has tucked into his sleeves.

I'm afraid that it might be a food allergy that he's reacting to through my breast milk. Any good websites with info that anyone's used? TIA!

Default Re: baby acne or allergies

I am told that many of the babies get acne - because of your harmones while in the womb, or something like that. Atleast mine did at that age. I didn't do anything about it for a while until it became rash like, and I think that bothered ds. It turns out according to my doctor that it was eczema, and suggested Aquaphor - but that didn't suit my son. He said I could also put baby lotion. I tried Johnson's lotion and that didn't help my baby, but the Aveeno baby lotion (I think that's also by Johnson&Johnson) right after bath when his face is still moist worked like a charm. Some ppl have told me Eucerin worked for them very well too. But this is just my experience. Please also check with your pediatrician. Hopefully other will share their experience as well.
    Last edited by emerald; February 10th, 2006 at 07:56 PM.

Hi there just wanted to prompt you to go to the allergy part of the forum, you will probably find some help there also. Our allergies did start out as acne, please read some of my threads and responses! Good luck, keep us posted!

Here's some comments that seem credible.
    http://www.drgreene.com/21_639.html

My newborn got a pretty nasty rash and that was a first for me.

I, too, speculated that eczema or allergies was possible -- but unlikely because it was only on her face and her bowl movements were normal (for a newborn) and she had no sign of diaper rash or a "red ring".

I suspected laundry detergent. I wash her stuff (and during early breastfeeding all my shirts/bras) with extra gentle cleaners, but everyone holds her - sometimes against their shirts. Some shirts are rough (Daddy's work shirts, Grandpa's wool vest), some rinse cycles are inadequate (friendly older women that use harsh or heavy perfumed detergents with old machines and like to hold babies at social events), etc. etc.

But, decided it's just a newborn rash - because it went away - and because it fits the description. ( Somedays it looked like it was gone but you could still FEEL that it was there - other times it was worse.)

It did seem to be irritated by being overheated when breastfeeding.

Here's hoping your babie's goes away, too!

If not, definately a good thing to ask about during a check up - and you won't have to remember to ask if it's still there! And don't be shy to question why he/she thinks it is/isn't.
    Last edited by Dedra; February 10th, 2006 at 08:41 PM. Reason: add line to end before posting

Sounds like the same rash/acne my baby had around that age. My dr. suggested she might be sensitive to milk, so I cut out drinking milk/yogurt/cheese/etc. and it cleared right up. After a while I started introduing milk products back in and everything seemed fine, as long as I didn't drink plain old milk itself. Around the time she was 4 months I started testing the waters with milk again and everything was fine. Now she eats milk & cheese and loves them. She just seemed to be sensitive to milk during the earliest months. Just an idea if you want to give it a try...

ditto the above about the sensitive skin, we went though that with ds also. Now we wash everybody's clothes, sheets etc in ALL FREE AND CLEAR, and also BOUNCE no SCENT fabric sheets. That way when he is in our bed or his or if we are holding him he is safe. Also my ped rec amended a double rinse for ds's washing. Now at 9 mo I do not double rinse but when he was wee I did. Also watch what you are washing dc in. The normal baby products are not always appropriate for every child. We have found that the Bert's Bees work well for him.

I've had moms in my group who experienced all of the above-- where the rash was just baby acne, and where it was caused by an allergy, either to contact with laundry detergent on clothes or something in mom's diet, frequently milk products. (My daughter reacted to soy).

One of the moms whose baby was severely allergic to many foods found that putting glycerin on her daughter's eczema helped immensely. She kept a restricted diet for a while and now, at age 2, her daughter only reacts to one or two foods and not as severely as before.

So....think about what seems like a probable cause and see if you can eliminate it for a while (for foods, you need to have it out of your system for a week minimum; some say 2 weeks. Then challenge by eating it again). Obviously, if you are very concerned, check with your pediatrician. Just be aware that creams don't "cure" the eczema, so you will still want to find the cause.

Even if the problem is caused by a food sensitivity, it's still worth it to continue breastfeeding. Your milk provides important immune benefits that he really needs if he is reacting to things in his environment. Good Luck! Let us know what you discover.

Dawn

Dawn

I just wanted to add something else that I've made a note of between my own 2 boys. Deven, my first, got baths just about every day. He had TERRIBLE baby acne. Now with Skyler, my second, I've given up on the daily baths and only give him one once a week. He hasn't had a single blemish on his face. Now, I really don't KNOW that it's the bathing, but I have a sneaking suspician that it was. Our skin has natural oils on it and washing with soap strips us of them. Just offering that up as food for thought!