Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3rd time mom, 1st time breastfeeder question

Question 3rd time mom, 1st time breastfeeder question

Hello all! I'm a new breastfeeder, although not a new mother, and I'm not sure I know what I am doing! My little girl was born Sunday morning. She nursed beautifully in the labor and delivery room. Since then, it has been off and on again. I know we are both learning, but here is my question. She wants to sleep constantly. There is no waking her up every two hours to nurse. I have tried all the suggestions such as taking off her clother, changing her diaper, tickling her feet, having her do "sit ups", changing breasts etc. She nursed great this morning one time after sleeping ALL night and that has been it. Each time I try now, she make such one or two times and drifts right back to sleep no mater what I try. I can't see how she isn't hungry. She is having bowel movements and urinating so she must be getting somthing out the few times she has nursed well. But, here are my main questions:

1. How can she not be hungry by now? It's been two days. I'm scared she will dehydrate or something.

2. How is my milk supply every going to come in if she is nursing so seldom? Should I pump to make sure it comes in and hope she is more alert soon?

I appreciate any and all advise!!!

Gina

Default Re: 3rd time mom, 1st time breastfeeder question

welcome to the forums! and welcome to your new baby.
    heres a link to know when your baby is getting the milk they need
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html
    if you still feal like she isn't getting the milk she needs you should talk to your doctor. Sometimes a baby that is sleepy doesn't wake and that just makes them weaker.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/frequency.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/Release/dehydration.html

Good luck!! Follow the links, lots of good info! Glad you found us!

Oh, this sounds awful, bu I used to put my cold glass of water against my dd's foot to keep her awake while she nursed when she was teeny.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Id like to add to if the baby was born on sunday morning your milk still might not be fully in. KEep trying to nurse the baby if you get engoraged and she cann't latch on you can some ideas in this link...
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

don't be afraid to call your local leader for help!
    try and stay away from any bottles or passifiers and find out what a good latch looks like.

this is a good link too about colostrum and the stomacs of tiny babies
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/colostrum.html

I'd definately try to find a local LLL leader in your area that could possible come and visit you, and if that's not possible find a good lactation consultant close by. The links posted are wonderful!

Talking Re: 3rd time mom, 1st time breastfeeder question

My situation is very similar to yours. I am mother of 3 and first time BF to my 3rd. Now my daughter is almost 5 weeks old and we had the same problem you did.
    How did I deal with it?? I let my baby wake on her own for feedings. My milk didn't come in till day 5 and when her appetite finally came in she started waking more often to eat. I did try to wake her but she never would stay awake long enough to nurse. But she started to stay awake longer and longer as time went by and her appetite got bigger. If she has gained weight by her 2 week check up then your doing fine. At my daughters 2 week she had gained a whole pound! (I take Fenugreek tabs too, helps with milk production!)

You should be doing breast compressions to help her get more milk when she is at the breast; they will also help keep her awake and actively sucking: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

It's awfully hard to wake those newborns! We had a January baby, so the cold helped. It's so mean, isn't it? strip him down until he's so cold he wakes up! Waking up the baby was usually DH's job since I just couldn't bear it. You just have to keep trying. We used a wet cloth to wipe his forehead with, diaper change, tickle the feet, blow on him - all kinds of things because the kid wanted to sleep. (And now that's the last thing he wants to do!)

Please keep in mind that it really takes a couple of months for both you and baby to get the hang of this. And even once you do get it, there's always some new challenge. I think for many mothers, right around two months is when it really starts to click. It certainly did about then for me. And somewhere around 5 months, we really really felt like we had it down.

I only mention this because I had no clue how difficult and painful bf is and wished someone had told me it's bloody hard work. So I try to pass that on to "new" moms whenever I can so they don't have unrealistic expectations.

Good luck!

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

By this Sunday, your milk should be in and your baby a little more awake, would be my guess. Those first couple days are hard to keep them awake, but I found after a week, it wasn't such a struggle. Hang in there, you're diong a great job! And congratulations!!!!