Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Made it to 1!

Default Made it to 1!

Just wanted to share my excitement.

Does anyone have any advice about going out in the evening and leaving behind a 1 year old nursling? I've never given her a bottle. Don't have a pump or anything. DH and I'd like to go to his company's holiday party. We'd be gone from 6:30 p.m. - ?, which includes at least one nursing time. Thanks.

Default Re: Made it to 1!

As for the party, you still have a few months. Have you tried manual expression? You might be surprised to at how easily you can skip that feeding without my stress and trauma if you have to.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post

As for the party, you still have a few months. Have you tried manual expression? You might be surprised to at how easily you can skip that feeding without my stress and trauma if you have to.
    I have expressed small amounts to put in baby food when she was younger. I really don't enjoy doing it, and I don't get much, but I could do that. If I do, how should we try giving it to her? sippy? bottle? With her sippy, she drinks only a tiny bit of water.

Congratulations on the milestone!!

You could try hand expression-look up the Marmet technique. She is probably old enough to skip that feeding and have a snack and some water or something instead for one night if pumping/expressing doesn't work out (unless it's her bedtime feeding, in which case she might get upset).
    I'd try introducing a sippy with expressed milk well before the party. I'd also try going out with DH in the evening before then to see how she does with the sitter-something low pressure so you can come home on short notice if needed. If she does well, you'll be able to enjoy the holiday party more once it comes!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Congratulations! It will just keep getting sweeter.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Congrats to you and your LO! What a great accomplishment!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Yay!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold