Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Drop in Supply at 3 Months?

Unhappy Drop in Supply at 3 Months?

Hi All,

Did anyone experience a sudden drop in pumping output at 3 months postpartum? Just happened all of a sudden one day! I haven't been doing anything different, but my output has been cut in half. I'm told it has something to do with hormones, but was not given an actual explanation. Is this temporary? Help!

Default Re: Drop in Supply at 3 Months?

For many moms, milk supply sort of regulates at around 3 months- your body figures out how to make exactly enough to satisfy the baby's needs, without a lot of extra left over. This can pose a real challenge to a pumping mom, because the pump isn't as effective at getting milk as the baby is, and it's harder to increase supply with a pump. But it can be done!

Here are some things you can do to increase supply:
    - See a lactation consultant. Nothing beats hands-on help!
    - Pump more frequently. You can even pump after nursing when you are together with your baby (if you are nursing and not exclusively pumping).
    - Try power pumping (pump both sides for 10 minutes, then rest for 10. Pump for 10, rest for 10, and pump once more for 10 for a total of 30 minutes of pumping in an one-hour period). Power pumping is supposed to mimic the way a baby feeds and boosts mom's supply during a growth spurt.
    - Add breast compressions to your pumping routine.
    - Use the best pump you can afford. This may mean using a hospital-grade rental pump.
    - Get your current pump checked out- many lose power and suction after a while.
    - Herbs- fenugreek, blessed thistle, and oatmeal are all good for milk supply.
    - Drugs- Reglan (available in US) and Domperidone (Canada) are anti-nausea drugs which can increase milk supply as a side-effect. Both have additional side-effects and are not for everyone, so discuss them with your LC and doctor or midwife before taking either one.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Drop in Supply at 3 Months?

Wow! Thank you very much for all of the suggestions! I will try them and hope things get better. I'm making enough milk for my daughter (thank goodness), but would like to just have to pump less often. Starting to feel like I just began nursing again (tender). I have been using the breast compressions lately, so I hope to see a difference soon.

On another note - I saw a recipe for Lactation Cookies on another forum and will give that a try. If it doesn't work, at least it's an excuse to eat cookies! LOL!

Thanks again!