Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Small yeild w/ pumping

Default Small yeild w/ pumping

I pumped using a double electric from the first few days at home since my baby had a hard time latching on due to size of my nipples. LC suggested breastfeeding, pumping, and the supplementing to get my supply up and until baby's mouth grew enough to take more of my nipple. I also took herbal to increase milk supply.

I had to order larger flanges for my breast pump. At first I thought the reason I wasn't getting more than 1 to 1.5 oz total from both breasts combined was because the flanges were too small, but even with the larger ones, I'm not getting much more. At this point I've given up pumping and am just BFing and supplementing w/ formula when baby doesn't seem satisfied.

This seems to be working, but if I can't get a good output w/ pumping I'll have to give up BFing when I go back to work in 5 weeks. Any suggestions of what I can do to increase pumping output?

Default Re: Small yeild w/ pumping

When you go to work you will be able to pump out more. Right now you're pumping after your baby has eaten, so it's extra. How old is your baby? Why do you have to supplement with formula? In order to increase your supply you need to stop using formula - your body isn't getting the message to make the milk when you give your baby formula.

There is a section called "Increasing Supply", maybe you can go on there to find info on increasing your supply. Also, something I did was pump one side while my baby ate on the other side, in the football hold. I was able to get a lot more milk out that way and it was less stressful. Whenever I would pump when she was sleeping I would be nervous that she would wake up and want to eat and I would have just pumped out all that milk.

I think you should definitely take a look at the increasing supply area and on kellymom.com there are articles about weaning off of formula, I think. Hopefully one of the moms that has dealt with this will come along and post something for you.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Tracie - the problem according to my LC is that I may not have enough ducts to produce enough milk for my baby. He was literally dehydrating before I supplemented. At that time I had a consult with the LC and tried to increase my supply with More milk plus and with BFing and pumping. I only give formula when it's clear he's not satisfied after BFing for uo to 20 mins on each side. LC said that since my breasts didn't change much during pregnancy (size & shape), this could be an indication that I my body doesn't have a large number of ducts.

I'm trying everything I can think of and read about as I want to BF. I had to stop after two weeks with my first and I'm determined this time to continue as long as I can.

How old is your baby?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Hi zeh512,

It sounds like you have had a hard time of it. It must have been scary when your son was getting dehydratded. Did the same thing happen with your first baby? Is that why you had to quit breastfeeding? I'm not sure why your breasts not having changed much during pregnancy would mean that you don't have enough milk ducts, but I'm not an LC.

How much are you supplementing with? Even if you have to keep supplementing, there is value to giving your child breastmilk. If you continue to nurse him during the day while you are together, when you go back to work you will have milk there to pump out for him.

I have seen lots of suggestions on here about eating oatmeal and taking fenugreek to help up supply. I think the fenugreek is supposed to help with the letdown while pumping.

When I pump I lean forward, kind of bent in half, my breasts are between my knees and I squeeze them with my hands while holding the horns on. It looks weird and seems strange, but it really helps me to push the milk out. I'm not sure if I just pumped without doing that if I would get the same amount of milk out, or if it would just take longer. I can't really do anything else while I'm pumping.

I have known mothers who gave formula while they were at work and breastfed while they were together. I am not sure if your supply would take an even bigger hit if you did that though.

I hope you can find some answers to help you!
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    How old is your baby?
    My son is 7 weeks

Smile Re: Small yeild w/ pumping

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Hi zeh512,

It sounds like you have had a hard time of it. It must have been scary when your son was getting dehydratded. Did the same thing happen with your first baby? Is that why you had to quit breastfeeding? I'm not sure why your breasts not having changed much during pregnancy would mean that you don't have enough milk ducts, but I'm not an LC.

How much are you supplementing with? Even if you have to keep supplementing, there is value to giving your child breastmilk. If you continue to nurse him during the day while you are together, when you go back to work you will have milk there to pump out for him.

I have seen lots of suggestions on here about eating oatmeal and taking fenugreek to help up supply. I think the fenugreek is supposed to help with the letdown while pumping.

When I pump I lean forward, kind of bent in half, my breasts are between my knees and I squeeze them with my hands while holding the horns on. It looks weird and seems strange, but it really helps me to push the milk out. I'm not sure if I just pumped without doing that if I would get the same amount of milk out, or if it would just take longer. I can't really do anything else while I'm pumping.

I have known mothers who gave formula while they were at work and breastfed while they were together. I am not sure if your supply would take an even bigger hit if you did that though.

I hope you can find some answers to help you!
    I had to quit w/ first baby because of same reason and I didn't have financial means to hire an LC to help that time. This time I planned to have LC for sure. Thanks for your comments. I only supplement w/ formula if it seems necessary and I'm giving less formula now than at first and only after BFing first on both sides. I already eat oatmeal and I think more milk plus contains fenugreek. I too use compression both w/ feeding and pumping. Thanks for your suggestions.

Your baby is still so young. Sounds like normal puming outupt to me. Remember, pumping is something that your body has to become accoustomed to.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

How's it going?
    Tracie

Mommy to