Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: increasing supply?

Default increasing supply?

How can I increase my supply??

Sometimes I really wonder if my dd is getting enough to eat. She is almost 4 mo old. For the last feeding of the night she get's where she is pulling on and off the breast, more easily distracted and we end up giving her a bottle w/ mommy's milk so that she can go to sleep.

It feels like she isn't getting enough acts as is still hungry or only goes 2 hours between feedings. Maybe I am getting her cues mixed up with something else. I don't want to give into formula which to me is the "f" word around me. My hubby isn't always that supportive about this since he thinks I am making it harder than need to be.

Any suggestions please would be most appreciated!!

Jen
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

Smile Re: increasing supply?

Maybe she's going through a growth spurt. Or making her next milestone. DS has a similar thing at around 4 months now we're at just about 8 months and he's doing similar things again. I just nurse him more often and if I have to get up at night i do it. I'm exhausted, but I'm hoping it's only temporary.

I found the best way to increase my milk supply is let ds nurse more frequently, drink more than usual fluids, (I always have a bottle of water around), eat a little more (an extra apple or something), and rest a little more, (take a little nap if you can). And if you can't nap, just putting your feet up for a little while helps too. I tend to do that more than sleep because I'm constantly thinking of things I need to do. But you can fold laundry on the couch or do your bills ect.

Just relax and try not to stress over it. Hang in there!

Default Re: increasing supply?

We had great difficulty nursing in the first month or so. My baby girl wasn't latching on properly and I suffered greatly with chronicly sore and bleeding nipples. My little one seemed to want to feed ALL the time - hardly 10 minutes would pass without her wanting to feed and because it was so painful this was extremeley hard. The problem is that although she was feeding all the time she wasn't gaining weight. I was confused. I then got mastitis and a nipple infection and was (wrongly) advised to stop feeding on this breast. Both baby and I then got thrush. It all felt very traumatic at the time and I am sure the stress affected my milk supply. My daughter started losing weight and the breast that had the mastitis had less milk than the other one. I tried expressing straight after feeding to build up the supply but rarely got anything out. I was advised to co-sleep with my baby and to have plenty of skin on skin contact. I tried both of these options and am convinced that they helped my supply to build back up again. I tried to relax, tried to have faith in my ability as a mother - I felt inadequate and like I was some how failing as a mother - more than anything in the world I wanted to nourish my baby myself and was so scared that I would not be able to continue doing this - that my milk was not enough to help her to grow fit and strong. I cannot over recommend sleeping with your baby - for me this really, really helped and over time my supply built up. When feeding and expressing I found that if I really concentrated on my daughter and on what I was doing, thinking about my milk feeding her and really chanelling my love in to her, this also really helped and the milk flowed. Hope this helps.

spoon-
    How wonderful for you and your LO that you got through such a difficult time! What an inspiration!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

How are things going Jen?

Quote Originally Posted by LLLKate
    How are things going Jen?
    Well it is still a challenge. I think that I may not have that milk (stress from dh) or something sometimes. Early today not much milk came out w/hand expression. At night (last feeding before bed) it is like she didnt get enough to eat. She is growing, is alert, her wet diapers don't seem as before, not a major difference. If I can might just give her bottle (my milk) to see if ther is any change.
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old