Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I re-use storage bags?

Default Can I re-use storage bags?

These bags are getting expensive and I'm wondering if anyone ever reused the bags?

Default Re: Can I re-use storage bags?

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyMommy
    These bags are getting expensive and I'm wondering if anyone ever reused the bags?

I think they are one time use, but I would be courious to know this also....if anyone has done it or have any information about it......

I have never tried to reuse them, it would be nice if we could though lol.

I think the biggest concern would be the bateria and it could pose a threat to the next milk that be in there.
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

I agree with the pp about bacteria...one thing I did though, that you might be able to try to save on the expensive bags...

I took the cheaper bags (like playtex liners or even the cheap-o Wal Mart brand) and put my milk in them, rolled down the top allowing space for expansion (I froze in small amounts so as not to waste what I had since I didn't pump or need milk often.) put a clip on the top and put it in the freezer...once it was frozen, I then put the whole cheap-o bag into one of the Lansinoh bags (but took the clip off first) to protect it better. I could put about 4 2oz bags of milk into one Lansinoh bag...then the little cheap-o bags got taken out to thaw and I could reuse the more expensive bag.

I hope that makes sense...it might be a good way to save some $$.
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

I would be hesitant to resuse a storage bag, because of the bacteria issues PPs have already mentioned. In addition, I would worry about the strength of the bags being able to withstand several rounds of freezing and thawing w/out cracking or failing. If you were to try to wash and 'boil' the bag to clean it, that would weaken it further, making the failure rate higher. So...I probably wouldn't do it.

If cost is the main issue (and after 17 months of pumping, I sure understand the costs of freezer bags!!) you can try what some other mommas here have done and use ice cube trays to freeze small blocks....then store those in heavy-weight ziploc bags, many blocks to a bag! You would want to be careful with keeping the trays very clean of course and covering them well so that there isn't alot of air exposure while you are freezing the milk as that would increase oxidation and breakdown of some of the milk components.
    -linda

I found some 5 oz containers on ebay at a great price that I used for storing EBM and washed in dish washer to sant. I think I got 20 or 25 for around $15.00. They were actual a type of specimen cup but stated the were for freezing/storing EBM They are NEW NEVER USED They were a freezable grade of plastic, lids never leaked, stackable, the whole nine yards. I used these containers for 11 months with no problems at all. They are still available on ebay just look under baby then milk storage or storage. You should be able to find them pretty easy. On seller even said that the playtex nibble fits right on container which it does however since there is no air inside when baby sucks it colapses nibble so don't try that just empty into playtex bag or reg bottle. Oh one more thing you can use a sharpie marker to write on cont. for dates then just cross out and redate. Some come with labels which are nice unitl washing time then just a mess.

I have some 80ml reuseable plastic containers from Medela:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Medela-New-Seale...QQcmdZViewItem