Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeling like a failure..help

Default Feeling like a failure..help

I have a 9 week old. He breastfed exclusively for about 4-5 weeks. He then started being fussy all day, and would not nurse at all, so we had to supplement with formula (I did not have a pump at the time). I would hand express milk everyday, and still attempt to have him nurse. Now, I have a pump, I try to pump as much as possible, but as he is still a fussy baby, it is usually only 3 times a day. My milk supply is very low, I want him to have breast milk. Each time I pump I rarely get more than an ounce. I know I need to pump more, but is there any other way to get more milk, or help him nurse?

Default Re: Feeling like a failure..help

Sixyearplan covered just about everything I can think of. Just a few additional things you can do to increase your supply:
    - Herbs. Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, and plain old oatmeal are all useful for increasing milk supply.
    - Drugs. Reglan and Domperidone are anti-nausea drugs which can increase milk supply as a side-effect. Both have additional side-effects and are not right for all women, so discuss these drugs with your doctor or midwife before taking either one.
    - See a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Nothing beats hands-on help!!!

Meanwhile, pump, pump, pump using the best possible pump you can afford. Hospital-grade rental pumps are often the most effective. When I had supply issues, I pumped every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night, and saw good results in a hurry.

You can do it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"