Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeling like a failure..help

Default Feeling like a failure..help

I have a 9 week old. He breastfed exclusively for about 4-5 weeks. He then started being fussy all day, and would not nurse at all, so we had to supplement with formula (I did not have a pump at the time). I would hand express milk everyday, and still attempt to have him nurse. Now, I have a pump, I try to pump as much as possible, but as he is still a fussy baby, it is usually only 3 times a day. My milk supply is very low, I want him to have breast milk. Each time I pump I rarely get more than an ounce. I know I need to pump more, but is there any other way to get more milk, or help him nurse?

Default Re: Feeling like a failure..help

I have to run but read these links:

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby...to-breast.html

http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

For me cosleeping and nap nursing worked the best. I also wore my DD in the sling skin to skin all the time so she could smell my milk. I always offered the breast first, both sides, while doing breast compressions http://kellymom.com/newman/15breast_compression.html.

Then after nursing, I would supplement while pumping hands free (I used a double electric pump and cut vertical slits in a sports bra for the shields to slide through). I pumped through two let downs - approximately 20 minutes, and I did this all day long every two hours.

However, I only nursed at night. My supply rebounded quite well.

Almost forgot -

You CAN do this. You are not a failure. But you need to work on latch and get that established well.

videos and tips are great on this site: www.drjacknewman.com

And nothing beats hands on help from an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant)

Many many of us mamas here got off to the wrong start for various reasons, but with persistence you can get back to exclusive breastfeeding.

Ok one more thing and then I really need to go!

I had to get creative when there was breast refusal. Nursing when my DD was sleepy was key. And before she started fussing for food. I just offered and had the breast available all the time and did days of nursing vacations in bed. Nursing builds supply faster than the pump so use both.

I nursed lying down a lot and also stood and nursed in positions like football hold while swaying. You just have to exhaust the arsenal of positioning and nursing when sleepy.

Sixyearplan covered just about everything I can think of. Just a few additional things you can do to increase your supply:
    - Herbs. Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, and plain old oatmeal are all useful for increasing milk supply.
    - Drugs. Reglan and Domperidone are anti-nausea drugs which can increase milk supply as a side-effect. Both have additional side-effects and are not right for all women, so discuss these drugs with your doctor or midwife before taking either one.
    - See a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Nothing beats hands-on help!!!

Meanwhile, pump, pump, pump using the best possible pump you can afford. Hospital-grade rental pumps are often the most effective. When I had supply issues, I pumped every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night, and saw good results in a hurry.

You can do it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"