Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to work part time

Question Back to work part time

My son is 10 weeks old, and I'm going back to work part time next week. I will be working one 12 hour shift and one 6 hour shift per week most weeks. I have had an oversupply issue, so I stopped pumping "extra" just for the freezer, but I have probably 50 oz in the freezer right now.

I cannot pump very often at work... I get NO formal breaks or lunches, but my boss is supportive of my pumping, so I will be able to basically take extended bathroom breaks to pump. I would like to just pump when I HAVE to to feel comfortable, instead of on any specific schedule. Probably once during my 6 hour shifts, and 2-3 times during 12 hour shifts. I usually can get about 4-6 oz per pumping session, sometimes a little more.

Do you ladies think my supply will dwindle with just 2 workdays per week where I don't pump as much as I should? With the freezer supply I have, and the fact that I had such an oversupply problem a few weeks ago, will my strategy of just pumping when I'm uncomfortable work? Or am I crazy? Thanks.

Default Re: Back to work part time

no one has any input at all?? I go back to work in just a few days!!

Personally I wouldn't wait until I am uncomfy to pump.
    You can try it and see and if it doesn't work pump more often. Just catch it early so you don't run out of milk and then have to boost your supply.

How's it going so far, mama?
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

My first two days went well. I worked 12 hours, and I pumped right before I left, then 5 hours later, then 4 hours later... I didn't get as much as my little guy ate while I was gone, but I was never even to the point of being uncomfortably full. Today I worked just 5 hours, and I pumped right before and right after work. I think this may work for me... I like the idea of not stressing about getting as much as he's eating while I'm away. I figure if my freezer supply starts to dwindle, I can always add in a before-bed pumping session to help boost it! We'll see. Wish me luck!

! I think that since it's just 2 days, if you do lots of nursing on demand (and even skin-to-skin) once you're reunited with your LO, it should work. You can also consider pumping in the car on your way home.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png