Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Upper Back Pain - could it be related to BF?

Default Upper Back Pain - could it be related to BF?

Good morning All,

Last night I had moderate to almost unbearable pain in my upper back (parallel to my breasts if that makes sense) when I was trying to sleep. If I turned to one side and nursed my daugther (we cosleep) the pain was worse almost to the point of me wanting to go to the ER. At times even lying on my back was very painful. I have no other symptoms.

Just to give you some info on why I think it may be related to BF is that I stopped daytime pumping at work b/c my LO was rejecting the EM at DC. she only takes it directly from me .

My breasts aren't red and I don't have a fever. I don't know what else it could be. I'm at work this morning but I still feel a dull pain back there and basically feel miserable. Any ideas?

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

Default Re: Upper Back Pain - could it be related to BF?

Before I read your entire post my first reaction was to say that back pain is caused by holding your infant on the same side of your body and throwing off the muscles in your back. That happens to me. However, after reading your entire post I am not sure that it would cause such sever sudden pain. I would first contact your BCLC before your doctor. She will be able to rule out any breastfeeding issues before you see a doctor. Doing this will make certain that you don't receive the common bad advice given to breastfeeding moms from doctors.

Thanks, that is exactly why I came here first. My doctor has no experience with breastfeeding moms and whenever I am sick, he tells me to come back after I am done BFíng my child. So, basically, I never go to my PCP. Now, I have to find a BCLC in my area. I don't have one.

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

does your lo ever lay on top of your chest to bf? I've noticed when dd lays on top of me to nurse (or falls asleep on my chst), if she's there too long my back will hurt from the pressure of her weight.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

I have had that same exact pain throughout the past 4 months. I realized my pain came from the way I nursed during the day. I was hunching over a lot and didn't ever realize it. My pain almost always came on worse at night. I work for a chiropractor and get weekly myofascial release and they evaluated my different positions nursing. Once I changed the way I nursed during the day I felt better.
    Look into your body positions while nursing throughout the day...hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aandrews View Post
    I have had that same exact pain throughout the past 4 months. I realized my pain came from the way I nursed during the day. I was hunching over a lot and didn't ever realize it. My pain almost always came on worse at night. I work for a chiropractor and get weekly myofascial release and they evaluated my different positions nursing. Once I changed the way I nursed during the day I felt better.
    Look into your body positions while nursing throughout the day...hope that helps!
    with this. I have practiced as a massage heralist for many years and most women who complain of upper/mid back pain while nursing are hunching over their babes. The first thing I would do is see your chiro and book a massage. If doing that doesn't seem to help, or if the pain doesn't seem to be muscular, then I would talk to my doc just to rule out something more sinister. But it sounds like it's probably posture-related.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

My first thought is a chiropractor as well. You said you just stopped pumping at work, so I imagine that your breasts have become heavier as they adjust, seems like this could cause that type of back pain.
    Wife of Jacob, our hero
    Mommy of Lilia Grey born September 22nd 2008
    Auntie of Alex, our funny 4th grader!

Makeup artist, studying to be a Bradley Birth Instructor!

peaceloving, treehugging : cloth diaper lover!