Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about Breastshield Sizes

Default Question about Breastshield Sizes

I cant seem to figure out the sizing. I was using the regular (24mm) size PIS breastshields but I have gotten a couple tears in my nipples from them. This hurts! I recently realized they make bigger ones, so I bought them. I do not get much milk out when I use the larger ones (27mm), even though they are more comfortable. I've tried turning up the suction and the speed, but still cant get as much milk out as with the smaller ones. Anyone have any advice? The soft shields do nothing for me either.

Default Re: Question about Breastshield Sizes

i'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the breastshields. the only thing at this point that i can recommend is to contact your local LLL or a lactation consultant at your hospital. they should be able to help you with the sizing.

also, i've heard that women apply a bit of olive oil on their nipples before pumping...maybe doing this with the 24mm breastshields would work?! you definitely want to make sure that your nipples aren't rubbing on the sides of the breastshields.

good luck!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Thank you for the suggestion. It seemed to help! Let's hope the olive oil is the solution I was needing.

I'm a military wife in Germany....not too much support here....at least that I know of!

On this subject, has anyone found any kind of guidelines relating bra size to flange size? I have read so many posts about problems due to incorrect flange size. Is there any way to get the right size from the onset or is it all by trial and error?

Can anyone chime in regarding friendly return policy retailers when it comes to pumps not working out? I have always been frustrated with the fact that you won't know if a pump will work out well for you before you try it out, and once you've tried it out, it's yours even if you hate it and can't use it.