Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My 7 1/2 month old has started to breastfeed less often

Default My 7 1/2 month old has started to breastfeed less often

I started my son on solids at 6 months and just recently started to give him a morning meal and night meal. Just about a week ago my 7 month old started to nurse alot less and sometimes will go five hours without nursing. He never used to do this, he usually nursed every three hours. I am worried that I am feeding him too much solids. I nurse him a hour before I feed him and he usually will eat about a jar of baby food. I am constantly worrying that he is not getting enough breast milk now, he is 17 1/2 pounds, he has many wet diapers, I am just afraid he is not getting the right amount of nutrition. Any suggestions, and is this weaning? I really hope not, I do not want to stop breastfeeding!

Default Re: My 7 1/2 month old has started to breastfeed less often

I haven't introduced many solids yet, because my LO (almost 7 months) isn't really interested in eating, and also because we are doing Baby Led Solids and so it is going to take some time before he gets used to eating. That being said I don't have personal experience but I've been reading a lot about it and the consensus here on the forum is that solids should never replace breastfeeding, and should only be a gradual transition so that your lo will not abruptly stop nursing.
    Is he eating a jar of baby food total? or was that at each meal?
    IMO, baby purees have a far less nutritional value than breastmilk and should not be used very much, plus if they are store bought, they are cooked and have way less vitamins. If that is the only way for you to introduce solids, then use it only as a supplement, so I don't think at this point you should be doing two meals if he seems to be nursing less. I would highly recommend starting with fresh foods like bananas, avocado, fruits that can be easily grasped. It seems a lot of people are shunning purees and going for "real" food. And I would have to agree! Here is a great website to get you started: Kellymom
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

How many times in a 24 hour period is he nursing now?
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Thanks for the feedback, I am actually making all my own baby food, I said a jar of baby food to estimate about how much he eats. He does eat about a jar total, not at each meal. I have fed him bananas, avocados, cooked peaches, and peas (all pureed). He is nursing about 6 times in a 24 hour period. I love Kellymom website, I do get alot of my info from there.

I dont really have an answer, but I am kind of in the exact same boat. But he is still gaining weight, and still having wet diapers as normal. On my part it is almost that he is too wiggly to want to sit still and breastfeed, I have started offering him a cup with expressed bm. He sometimes will drink that when he doesnt want to breastfeed. if not I dont force it tho. Im interested in hearing your replies.
    Still nursing strong since 1/11/09! ! Still sleeping in the family bed Expecting Baby #2 5-29-11!!!

I posted something similar recently. But when I stopped and counted dd was still nursing 6 - 7 times a day. And since she's only awake for 14 hrs or so a day her avg is still 2 - 3 hrs. I had a class this summer and she would go 5 hrs without bm. Wouldn't take a bottle a sippy a straw... But she would have a little dinner at least. (now she'll take ebm straight from the medela storage container). But her wets were good and her solids weren't actually displacing a session.

I also found that dd rarely gets fussy for bfing bc we have such a good rhythm down after 7 mo. So if I waited for her to get fussy it would seem like shed never "ask". She will, however, try to chomp thru my shirt if we are running a little late
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years

Part of it is probably being distractible at that age. I always nurse down for naps and again when DD wakes up, in a dark quiet room. The second we head towards the room she starts trying to lunge for the breast.