Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Well, it's over...

Default Well, it's over...

My son has officially weaned himself just shy of 16 months. At first my goal was to make it a year and not to have to ever give him formula. We made it, but then a year came and went and he was still nursing (albiet down to morning and night since I work full time and I had stopped pumping). Then on 4th of July, ds decided that he would rather play than nurse first thing in the morning and that was the end of that. Then last week, he started popping off after one or two sucks and saying "bed, bed." So, into the crib he went. I have had absolutely no discomfort whatsoever and ds seems perfectly happy. What I didn't expect is to feel so ambivalent about his weaning. In some ways I am happy that I truly have my body back and that dh can start putting him to bed some nights But, in some ways I am sad that I no longer have boobie in my bag of tricks and that ds will no longer be getting breast milk. I wonder now if I could have done more to keep him nursing and feel a little guilty that I didn't try harder.

Default Re: Well, it's over...

yea! Way to go mom.. it is a bitter sweet time weaning.
    but it sounds like he did it in his own time and adjusted well.

It sounds like it was a gentle and very natural weaning. Those mixed feelings are so normal -- I think no matter when weaning happens, it is a huge milestone in the journey of motherhood. Your son is so fortunate that you were willing to nurse him until he was ready to stop. And now you get to discover a new stage together and develop new tricks for that bag. Congratulations!

--Rebecca

Congrats on being such a great momma! You have given your son such a wonderful gift, that will stay with him for a lifetime! Please let us know how the next week or so go! Hope you are feeling happy and at peace!

Wow. That's beautiful and wonderful and just the way I think so many of us hope weaning can be. You obviously provided such a wonderful sense of security and strength to start your son's life - and he's showing that in every step. Congratulations to both of you................. -linda

All I can offer you right now is to remind you of what you already know - that you provided such a wonderful thing to your LO! And this transition is just that - a transition to the next step in your relationship with him... one thing gone from "the bag of tricks" and another comes in . Never fear - mommy always corners the market, if you will, on so many things. You'll see soon enough ... HUGS to you!

((((and think of it this way - it's practice for when they move out! Can they ever want to be w/o mommy near by??? I have one 6 years away from "moving on".. yikes )))
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. Reading the responses really made me step back and think about what a great journey this has been and to focus on the fact that it has truly been a journey that has not yet ended. Ds continues to be very, very happy and I still have had no discomfort of any kind. It feels great to know that I have accomplished something that the vast majority of moms in this country would never even attempt. Not only did I breastfeed my child for almost 16 months without a drop of formula, I managed to do it while working full time. Now, we are moving on to the next steps in the baby boy/mommy journey. Since weaning, ds has started giving lots of hugs and lots of kisses, and that has certainly helped the transition!

Quote Originally Posted by minkerpinker
    Since weaning, ds has started giving lots of hugs and lots of kisses, and that has certainly helped the transition!
    Yay!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.