Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H1N1 flu advice for bf moms?

Default Re: H1N1 flu advice for bf moms?

I think it makes sense. Not that I think it should be recommended, but I think the thought behind it makes sense. I guess "they" are trying to keep the "infected" person from breathing directly on a tiny infant. Makes sense if it wasn't the mother. "They" still think that the infant should get breastmilk from the mom with antibodies, just not be that close to the mama, kwim?

It's a little screwed up, and it was probably thought up by men. But I do see where they "thought" it would be a good idea.

I think the fear is that the swine flu has said to have mutated - so it may not be as mild as it was.

ETA: if *I* had a tiny infant and *I* got sick with the swine flu, I would continue nursing. I would, however, probably invest in those hospital masks to wear myself during my sickness In an effort to try to protect everyone else in my household.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Probable theory Jenn but it doesn't make much sense as are they also recommending someone come into a families home and care for the baby entirely while mom has the h1n1? I mean there's no more contact that a mother has during a nursing session than otherwise. The baby's already been exposed ...

I know they are acting like this is some bizzare thing they've never seen but they know how viruses behave and are passed. I just hope this doesn't scare moms off nursing entirely. Babies need that immunological support even more during flu season.

Last edited by @llli*number4; August 19th, 2009 at 10:44 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sillyme79 View Post
    I don't get why some people think this swine flu is any worse than what's already out there.
    Because it IS different. Read your history. This flu might not be more severe or make you more violently ill, but when a new flu or a new virus of any kind is introduced, it is cause for worry. It is because of how your body reacts to an previously unknown unintroduced foreign virus. It is called cytokine storm. And that is why new flus kill healthy people more than they kill elderly and sick people. Do I think that people need to run out and get a vaccine or stop nursing? No. But it is silly to cast swine flu or bird flu aside and pretend like it is "just like any other flu" because they aren't.
    Last edited by @llli*nolies.mama; August 19th, 2009 at 10:50 AM.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I know Eme, and I too fear people will stop nursing when they hear that. The antibodies in the breastmilk may be the ONLY defense tiny babies have

I just wanted to play devil's advocate for a minute and point out that the info put out there by the CDC probably did start out with some truth (like mom passing it to baby by being in close contact). It wasn't very well thought out though. They need to make sure that people understand that breastmilk just may SAVE lives during a pandemic like this one.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    I know Eme, and I too fear people will stop nursing when they hear that. The antibodies in the breastmilk may be the ONLY defense tiny babies have

I just wanted to play devil's advocate for a minute and point out that the info put out there by the CDC probably did start out with some truth (like mom passing it to baby by being in close contact). It wasn't very well thought out though. They need to make sure that people understand that breastmilk just may SAVE lives during a pandemic like this one.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    But it is silly to cast swine flu or bird flu aside and pretend like it is "just like any other flu" because they aren't.
    Please see my username.
    I'm not saying it's something to totally ignore, but when you consider how many people die from the "regular flu" every year, (which is now just something people "get" these days and move on) it makes me wonder how long this paranoia will last.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Jack Newman is the man - I received this reply (less than 2 hours since I wrote him)

Dear Ms. Z*****,

Of course it’s safe to breastfeed. It’s the way to make sure the baby doesn’t get the virus or if the baby does get it, the baby will be less sick than if the mother didn’t breastfeed.

Web MD doesn’t have good information on breastfeeding. The CDC has put up two different bits of information, contradictory. In one they say it’s okay to breastfeed. Of course it’s okay.

By the time the mother has symptoms she’s passed the virus on anyway.

This is a bit of hysteria over H1N1. This happens every time there is a new virus (same thing happened with West Nile Fever for example). Only after they tell mothers they can’t breastfeed for a while then they find out it’s fine. The medical community just has no confidence in breastfeeding, it’s as simple as that. What do they think all those immune factors (not just antibodies, but dozens of others) are doing in the milk? Just so they can ask something on the medical exams?

For general breastfeeding information, see www.drjacknewman.com or www.nbci.ca

Now - go give him that extra 5$ you have in your bank account to help him run his clinic! (link in my siggy)

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sillyme79 View Post
    Please see my username.
    I'm not saying it's something to totally ignore, but when you consider how many people die from the "regular flu" every year, (which is now just something people "get" these days and move on) it makes me wonder how long this paranoia will last.

That's another one of my sticking points. The numbers of people that die from the flu every year are purported by the CDC to be in the 30,000's, which isn't true. It is generally in the 100's. Here is a quote from another thread about this same subject

Quote:
    Every year, just prior to the impending "flu season," the CDC and their acquiescent media pawns terrorize the American public with false claims regarding annual flu deaths. The CDC boldly asserts that 36,000 people die every year from the flu. Such scare tactics are calculated to increase flu vaccine sales. However, according to the CDC's own official records documented in National Vital Statistics Reports, only a few hundred people die from influenza (flu) on an average year. And many of these deaths occur in people with preexisting conditions, weakened immune systems, and the elderly. For example, in 2002, 753 people died from the flu. The year before, in 2001, just 257 people died from the flu. (Fifty-nine percent of these deaths occurred in people 75 years or older; 75 percent occurred in people 55 years or older.) To put these numbers in perspective, 3,454 Americans died from malnutrition in 2001 -- 13 times greater than the number of flu deaths! That same year, there were 4,269 deaths attributed to asthma, a condition some studies have linked to vaccines.
    Secondly, with regular flu, the majority of the people that die are elderly people. Secondly immuno-compromised people.
    Am I worried about the swine flu? Yes. I live in San Diego...right near the border. We have already had 16 deaths (the most in the state of California) and as of last week in So Cal there have been close to 900 cases of swine flu, and almost 100 deaths statewide. So that means that in 2001 in the whole United States, 257 people died from the flu, and since summer of this year in California alone, we have half that number that have died from swine flu alone.

Those who know me on this forum know that I am not a friend of vax, and am seriously leery of the medical establishment. But that doesn't make me any less worried about it. It doesn't make the Plagues and Peoples class I took in college any less real. I just don't think that we should so casually be casting it off as "just another flu" and thinking that we will all be fine if we do nothing. It is just like everything else. It effects different people different ways, and you never know which person it is going to be. Common sense practices are generally best.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Common sense practices are generally best.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold