Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H1N1 flu advice for bf moms?

Default H1N1 flu advice for bf moms?

I just came across this advice:

"Breastfeeding mothers with swine flu symptoms should express their breast milk, and the child should be fed by someone else. "

From this website: http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/fl...u-faq-1?page=4

What?!?!!!?? I am confused. Is Webmd not reputable and that is why they advise this? (I'm not very tech savvy)

I think this is terrible advice! What do you mamas think? Anyone had the flu or H1N1 this year? Did you still nurse through it?

I am totally freaking out about the flu season this year b/c I have a middle school son, a high school daughter and an in home daycare. I have been reading up on what to look for, how to respond etc. Would like everyone's opinion on this b/c I trust all you LLL mommas!

TIA!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Default Re: H1N1 flu advice for bf moms?

That makes no sense. I don't see why it would be different than any other flu in that regard. You aren't advised to not feed your child when you are sick with other flus. On the contrary you should continue to nurse because you are giving your child antibodies to what you've been exposed to.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    That makes no sense. I don't see why it would be different than any other flu in that regard. You aren't advised to not feed your child when you are sick with other flus. On the contrary you should continue to nurse because you are giving your child antibodies to what you've been exposed to.
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

written by a dork.. that happens sometimes...

It sounds like they are saying to pump and have someone else bottle feed? Still makes no sense. If you want to minimize exposure, nursing is the least of your worries. Sounds like more hype to stress people out.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

DH and I were trying to figure it out too. Maybe b/c you might cough on your baby was the only thing we could think of.

But isn't getting the immunity from your milk more important? Does anyone have info/link on immunities from illnesses in breast milk?
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Even the CDC site says the same. I'll be on a mission to figure this out now. We cant have people not nursing through the winter out of fear of exposure.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Here's the CDC link http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/infantfeeding.htm#c It actually encourages breastfeeding. It just recommends, if possible, that if a mother is infected with the virus that someone else feed that baby its mother's pumped milk. I guess they want to limit direct exposure to someone with the virus.
    Mama to:
    DS 12/14/05 10lbs. 3oz. 22.5"
    DD 01/26/08 8lbs. 5oz. 19.5"

Attachment parenting begins with leaving the foreskin attached. http://nocirc.org/

175****170****165****160****155****150****145

I don't get why some people think this swine flu is any worse than what's already out there.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I am awaiting a reply email from Dr Newman on this subject. I just wanted to start with his thoughts. I'll let you know if/when he replies. Dr Gordon will be next - but I can almost already figure what he'll say
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.