Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much and how many and what

Default how much and how many and what

hi everyone,

my daughter is 8 1/2 months. i've been feeding her purees since 6 months plus the occasional finger food. it's funny regarding the latter. this one sticks everything in her mouth so i figure when i started her with solids, she'd take on to the BLS stuff like crazy...but no, she just mushes it in her hand and plays with it and occasionally puts a little bit in her mouth. it's mostly purees for now.

anyhow, on with the questions. for now, i'm giving her 2 meals a day...basically lunch and dinner and she's BFing at least 6 x a day. so, usually i BF her and then an hour later, i give her solids and then a couple hours later BF again. however, in the 2 hour between the meal and BF, she seems hungry in the sense that if i'm eating something, she'll stare and sometimes chew her mouth. it's very sad to see. should i be giving her snacks? i don't want her to decrease the BF nor do i want to increase the BF times. for her meals, i'm giving her about 4 oz (e.g. size of baby jar). she could probably take more but it seems like a lot already. should i give her more? if i give her snacks, is that breaking the BF before you feed rule? i thought for snacks, i'd do BLS because i want to get her used to feeding herself.

and lastly, is fresh fruits (e.g. uncooked) okay to start at this age? how about egg yolks and meat?

thanks in advance.

Default Re: how much and how many and what

Around here my kids just got put in the high chair whenever we were having meals. With a toddler who is constantly snacking, my 11 month old will get the occasional snack as well. However it's something like one corn chip, or a slice of peach, nothing huge.

The following the food with her eyes and smacking her gums is a developmental thing, not necessarily a sign of hunger. It just means that she is ready for solid foods.

This website has a lot of great info on what food to give at what age.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies