Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Formerly Exclusively Pumping, supply low now that we are at the breast!

Default Formerly Exclusively Pumping, supply low now that we are at the breast!

I had a micro preemie at 26 weeks and had to pump exclusivly for almost 3 months. I was producing over 50 oz a day!!!! So needless to say I have a freezer stocked with milk.

When my son came home we tried the breast once or twice, and started to get serious right when my supply went down considerably. Now I'm trying to get 2 feedings a day by breast and I pump once and do freezer milk for the rest !

He is GREAT at the breast, but I know I don't have enough in there to keep fully fed at the breast. How can I breastfeed more if I don't have enough in there for him? Should I go all day just trying to breastfeeding and only supplement him if he gets really cranky. I know that I can feed him maybe 2 times a day and then pump 4 oz, but he takes, 25-30 oz a day, how will I know if he needs to be supplemented by a bottle? and how to a keep nursing to bring up my supply if he is getting nothing?

Default Re: Formerly Exclusively Pumping, supply low now that we are at the breast!

*bump* (nolies.mama, where are you?)
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Default Re: Formerly Exclusively Pumping, supply low now that we are at the breast!

I'm here I'm here! Thanks Imma!

Sorry mama. I missed your post the first time. How are things going?

What made you think that your supply went down when got your LO back to the breast? Were you weighing him before and after feeds? How are his diapers? If his diapers are ok especially, I would say he is doing good mama.

I know that personally I had no confidence when I first went to exclusively back to the breast. I was so used to knowing exactly how much he was getting....and my breasts didn't have those handy little oz indicators on them! You have to trust your LO mama. He will tell you. If he is great at the breast like you say....great latch, good feeder, let him lead you now. You got him to this point, let him show you the way from here.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Well done on the breastmilk for your very early preemie. As nolies.mama says, it may not be that your supply has gone down. It is very difficult to measure once you are EBF or mostly BF instead of bottle feeding EBM.

It is a huge leap of faith, one I found difficult to do myself, as when we brought our DD home, I'd BF then top up with EBM, but that became time consuming and tiring with the BF and pumping, so we went to totally demand fed in the day with bottle fed EBM at night.

We did try to do rough measurements of DD to try and work out how much she was taking in each feed. We got the kitchen scales, and put a big baking tray on it, then laid her in it then weighed her before and after a feed. She'd usually gain about 70 grams, which was 70ml of milk, and that gave me a lot of confidence that she was getting enough when we first brought her home.

You are currently doing 2 BF a day, and the rest bottle EBM, I presume you are still pumping regularly throughout the day?
    Alison, mummy to Erin
    Born @ 30 weeks, 2nd July 2008, 3lb 11oz, fully breastfed

cloth nappy wearing bub.