Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breast and Nipple Pain

Default Breast and Nipple Pain

My daughter is 11 months old. In the past 2 days I have been experiencing breast and nipple pain while my daughter is nursing. She pulls the normal nursing gymnastics while breastfeed. She is on and off and often nurses in strange positions. This has never bothered me before but I am wondering if that is all of a sudden causing the nipple pain and breast pain? What else could be causing it? We have never had thrush before so I am also wondering if it's thrush?

She has cut down on her nursing times in the past few days but the pain does not feel like engorgement at all. I only feel it while she is nursing.

Default Re: Breast and Nipple Pain

I wonder if you have a bit of a plugged duct? Or perhaps she's bruised you?

This may help:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/index.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Have you gotten your period back yet? Many women experience a drop in supply just before their period (especially the first period after nursing for extended times) - which could explain your lo's dropping nursing sessions and strange positions. I also often experience nipple pain 3-5 days before getting my period (sometimes more pain than others). Just a thought to consider with everything else...

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Last week i too had nipple pain that i though was due to 'extreme nursing' (gymnastics) and pulling off. I also notice she was nursing less, at least in the daytime. Then for the last 2 nights she has been feeding all night and not unlatching as normal. I just got my first period 3 days ago, my lo is 9.5mths old. So maybe it is your period....
    Last edited by @llli*vickstar76; August 19th, 2009 at 02:07 PM.

I havent gotten my period fully back yet. I get spotting sometimes but I got Mirena put in 6 weeks post partum so I may not get it back.

any new solids?
    I noticed sometimes something my dd ate would bother my skin...

I had painful nipples which I thought may have been thrush, but it was actually me ovulating for the first time after my daughter was born, 13 months after. Once I'd ovulated, the pain went.
    Alison, mummy to Erin
    Born @ 30 weeks, 2nd July 2008, 3lb 11oz, fully breastfed

cloth nappy wearing bub.

I went to see my lactation consultant yesterday and it turns out that it's my daughters sloppy latch that is causing the nipple pain. I have not set out ground rules for nursing for her yet and I had been allowing her to take a shallow latch just so that she would nurse. She has begun to nurse a lot less often and I don't feel ready for that change so I was allowing her to nurse anyway she wanted as long as she was nursing. I am not on the quest to set the ground rules for out continued breastfeeding relationship. So far I have decided that she can't nurse unless she take a proper latch and lays still. This is leading to less and less nursing because she won't follow these two rules. I am so afraid that she is weaning now at 11 months of age. I know how uncommon that would be but does anyone have any experience with their child nursing a lot less often and for no more than 1-3 minutes and being able to keep up with the breastfeeding?

I've been there. My son has never been a long nurser, and he really started cutting his nursing time around that age. We're still going strong at 21 months, and that's with me being pregnant. I offered a lot more around that time, nap nursed, etc. so he would have plenty of access to my milk. And we co-sleep, which really helped. It's rare for a baby that young to truly wean. Strike, yes. Wean, no.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

She will ask and go on and off around meal times because she is hungry and will nurse if she gets hurt. As of last night and today she doesn't nurse before naps and going to bed. She does nurse around 3:30 or 4:30 and again when she wakes up. She also nurses after her afternoon nap. Could this be a partial nursing strike? I know it's not a typical nursing strike because she still nurses. Thank you for the encouragement. I feel like I really need it right now. I am torn because I feel like I really want to keep up the nursing relationship but I feel like she is pushing for less and less nursing. I go back to work full-time on Monday and I am so worried that because of this she will wean. At that point she will most likely only nurse 2-3 times a day. Is that normal?