Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do anti depressants effect breast milk?

Default Do anti depressants effect breast milk?

I've got an 8 week old baby girl and since she was born I have felt overwhelmed with the responsibility of caring for her and the life changing effect having her has done on my life (feeling I can't get out of the house and can't do things I used to do). I was working at a job where I saw a lot of people but decided to stay at home with her so I don't see very many people, mostly my husband who works long hours. His hours are supposed to be cutting back soon so I am hoping having him home more will help with my emotions. I thought this feeling of being overwhelmed was natural but when she was two weeks old she came down with a virus and was in the hospital for a couple of days. I have also had a lot of trouble getting her to eat at the breast. She does well when I pump and give her bottles but I would really like her to eat at the breast instead. The stress of her being ill and not a good eater has me wondering if I am also struggling with postpartum depression. I cry every day (not all day but every day) and feel overwhelmed with the thought of simple tasks...dishes, cleaning, paying bills, etc. I want to feel more like myself again but I am afraid if I take antidepressants it will effect my milk supply and cause more problems. Does anyone know if antidepressants decrease your supply?

Default Re: Do anti depressants effect breast milk?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mitchie View Post
    Does anyone know if antidepressants decrease your supply?
    I have never heard of that happening (make sure your Dr. knows what he/she is doing and prescribes one of the anti-depressants that are suitable for BFing - like zoloft) but i know from personal experience that depression and especially stress can kill your supply.

PPD is 100% treatable and no one should have to go through it.

I will try and get on during nap time (if we have one today) with a couple of specific suggestions that might help along with PPD treatment
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Smile Re: Do anti depressants effect breast milk?

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...hale10-02.html
    This link may be helpful too. Don't worry mama, you aren't alone! It is very very overwhelming for first time mamas, especially those that are BF because it takes alot of dedication. Everything else seems to fall behind.. dishes, cleaning the house, taking care of the pets, bills... it can be oh so stressful! Anti-depressents such as SSRI's are definately safe to take and recommended for those mamas who need a little something to help take the edge off of your stress. Hang in there, you're doing great and you have alot of people here to help support you and help get your through this, it will get much better soon.. I promise!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

I am going to try and address some of the issues that I see from your posts that might be feeding in to PPD (you should check out the Edinburgh Scale test used in PPD screening while you are waiting for an appointment with your OB/MW).

You are obviously a people person (me too). It is even more important for people like us to get out of the house with our new babies. This time of year (provided it is not TOOO hot) it is easier to get out and walk your neighborhood. You don't need to be out for very long with a baby for people to talk to you (they are even better than dogs for that). You will feel so much better even if all you do is say hi to three or four people. This doesn't need to take long, if you are a babywearing type you just literally stick them in a carrier and walk outside - you don't need to go further than a few blocks so you don't need a diaper bag. Being outside helps because the sunlight is good for you too If you do not live in the City try a trip to the coffeeshop (not starbucks they don't have changing tables ) just don't use the drivethrough. You might be able to work it so you don't need to nurse while you are out (since you aren't particularly comfortable NIP yet), but if you can't coffeeshops are some of the easiest places to nurse - comfy chairs, dim corners, something to eat and drink right there. Many people can nurse with their baby in a sling and no one ever notices.

Call your work friends and family and see if they want to come over and visit you for a short time (maybe on their way home). You can ask them to bring soft drinks or something if you are out or you can prepare by having DH bring home milk and cookies to keep in the house. They will not mind if the house is not in perfect shape. If you feel really bad about it have DH clean up a room one night and have people over the next day (you can even stay out of that room for the day if it makes you feel better). Seeing people and hearing about something other than the baby (and issues BFing - believe me I know about that) can make a massive difference.

Your DH may have long hours right now, but you have longer - you are working 24/7. Take advantage of him when he is home (and allow him to start some real bonding with the baby). You can hand off the baby for short periods and either have a shower or do a chore if it makes you feel better. If you have some community around you, you can take advantage of those teenage/pre-teen aged kids who love babies by having them come in and look after you baby while you potter around the house and do stuff. They love it (and you can even pay them a little bit if you want ) and it allows you to a) feel like you are getting stuff done and b) talk to someone.

My baby never got sick enough to go into the hospital but I can imagine how scary and stressful that must be. I did have a baby that didn't put on weight and had plenty of issues with breast feeding. This is enough to cause PPD by itself. Is your LO latching well? If your baby can latch and just "prefers" the bottle there are some fairly easy tricks that can help you persuade the baby back to the breast. Slow flow nipples are a must (you can even use premie nipple). Changing the shape of the nipple can help too. There are other moms out there that know much more than I do about that stuff though.

Good luck and make sure you contact your OB/MW and keep up a dialogue with someone (we are always here to listen and help) about your problems.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I am taking Zoloft and it has not had any adverse affects on my milk supply or our breastfeeding relationship.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!