Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 13 month old blues

Default 13 month old blues

So....DD used to eat anything I put in front of her. Over the past few weeks she's been rejecting fruit and now for the past two days she's rejecting just about everything except for bananas and cheese. Is this normal? Temporary? I'm trying not to stress because she still nurses well but she's getting constipated again from the bananas and cheese.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Default Re: 13 month old blues

Is this normal? Temporary?
    Yes and yes.

I'm trying not to stress because she still nurses well but she's getting constipated again from the bananas and cheese.
    Definitely don't stress. All babies need when they are under 12 months is your milk, and the transition from needing only milk to needing tons of solids is a gradual one, so your milk probably still meets all or almost all your baby's needs. If the bananas and cheese are causing constipation, I would put them away and only offer things that are better for your LO's digestion. I know it's hard when it's is all your kid will eat! But remember that your job is not to make sure your child will eat by becoming her short order cook and giving her only what she wants- it's to put healthy choices in front of her. She can eat, or not. And she will.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Its frustrating because she was eating great and now she hasn't had more than a mouthful of anything since Friday night's dinner. But she seems happy and not in distress so I will just keep offering and nursing away. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    But remember that your job is not to make sure your child will eat by becoming her short order cook and giving her only what she wants- it's to put healthy choices in front of her. She can eat, or not. And she will.
    I was actually going to ask a similar question about my 15 month old DD.

Mommal I believe you answered my question Lately DD has not been eating too much. I wasn't sure if I should be concerned or not. I offer her a variety of food to self feed as always, but she hasn't taken much lately. I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to keep offering her different things until she eats, or if I just offer food @ meals and snacks times and if she eats it she eats it, if not, then oh well.

My CG's think she has to eat. My MIL just called and said of everything she offered at lunch DD only ate the cheese. She wanted to know if she should give her a bottle of my frozen EBM - I said no (I just pump weaned), just let her eat what she wants and make sure she has water readily available. I told her to offer her some of the veggies/fruits later with her snack if she wants. Is this okay or am I depriving my little one. PS. she HAS been nursing more frequently lately.

OH AND SORRY IF I HIJACKED YOUR THREAD
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post

OH AND SORRY IF I HIJACKED YOUR THREAD
    No problem! Sorry your LO isn't eating either. I made the most yummy mashed sweet potatoes with butter, cream cheese and whole milk and she just smeared them everywhere! Acted like I was poisoning her. Grrr!!!!!!

I really think that when they are ready to eat, they will eat. I just keep offering and try not to get pissed when she throws it on the floor or smears it everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*abbymom View Post
    No problem! Sorry your LO isn't eating either. I made the most yummy mashed sweet potatoes with butter, cream cheese and whole milk and she just smeared them everywhere! Acted like I was poisoning her. Grrr!!!!!!

I really think that when they are ready to eat, they will eat. I just keep offering and try not to get pissed when she throws it on the floor or smears it everywhere.
    I know it is so frustrating when you go through the effort of making something special just for them and they just throw it around! Makes you want to scream aaaahhhhh! She barely ate breakfast today and only a couple bites of snack! Thank goodness for mamma's milk or she probably would starve!
    Proud mom of 2:

I hear you on that one. I've had thoughts of cutting back but I won't do that for a while until she starts to eat more. My husband and I joke that she will be the only kid at prom that has to come home to nurse before the after prom parties!

I know, we are BF til she goes away to college!
    Proud mom of 2:

Just a thought here...could your DD be teething? Mine was on a semi-strike for the past week or so, and when I looked in her mouth to try to clean her gums, I saw (to my horror) 1 first year molar cutting through, 1 canine about to cut through and 3 more canines not far behind. Doh! Lightbulb moment! Suddenly, the food strike made sense.