Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legality of domperidone in the US - please read

Default Re: Legality of domperidone in the US - please read

I was shocked to see this post.

I have done extensive Domperidone research and worked very closely with many of the most highly regarded lactation consultants (and MD's who work in lactation... not easy to find) in the greater Seattle area. The information I have found locally and online indicate that the most recent court ruling is that it is indeed legal for a US physician to prescibe Domperidone at a compouding pharmacy to a lactating woman. Many are just afraid to make a habit of it due to the FDA watch. They are concerned about losing their license if they are handing out scripts for it left and right.

I am fully aware that there are so many other galactologues and techniques that must be first tried and evaluated, but Domperidone is a last resort and an effective one at that for many women. Hale and the AAP do not object to its use in the nursing mother. The data that originally concerned the FDA were "heart troubles in cancer patients on high dose chemotherapy receiving high dose IV Domperidone". Not exactly a good comparison to its use in a lactating mother. There is no such thing as a safe medication, however Jack Newman has prescribed it to thousands of lactating mothers with nothing other headache type side effects.

Perhaps my post should be relocated to lactivism, but I was about to post about another issue in this forum and was disappointed to read this sticky as I do not feel it is accurate and should be updated.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fionamommy29 View Post
    I was shocked to see this post.

I have done extensive Domperidone research and worked very closely with many of the most highly regarded lactation consultants (and MD's who work in lactation... not easy to find) in the greater Seattle area. The information I have found locally and online indicate that the most recent court ruling is that it is indeed legal for a US physician to prescibe Domperidone at a compouding pharmacy to a lactating woman. Many are just afraid to make a habit of it due to the FDA watch. They are concerned about losing their license if they are handing out scripts for it left and right.

I am fully aware that there are so many other galactologues and techniques that must be first tried and evaluated, but Domperidone is a last resort and an effective one at that for many women. Hale and the AAP do not object to its use in the nursing mother. The data that originally concerned the FDA were "heart troubles in cancer patients on high dose chemotherapy receiving high dose IV Domperidone". Not exactly a good comparison to its use in a lactating mother. There is no such thing as a safe medication, however Jack Newman has prescribed it to thousands of lactating mothers with nothing other headache type side effects.

Perhaps my post should be relocated to lactivism, but I was about to post about another issue in this forum and was disappointed to read this sticky as I do not feel it is accurate and should be updated.
    ITA! as I stated in prior posts.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Do you have a link where I could see the court ruling? I'd be glad to update the OP.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I havent looked very well but I think the issue may be that at this time the 5th and 9th circuit have conflicting rulings on the authority of the FDA to judge certain compounding methods, ingredients. However in a letter to pharms. on 4/9/10 the FDA did say the following:

Physicians who would like to prescribe domperidone for their patients may seek to open an IND through the established procedures. Information regarding obtaining an IND for Domperidone can be found at http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/.../ucm073070.htm. It should be noted that the IND is obtained by the prescribing physician and not the pharmacy.

so to me (again this is a super quick read and not research) the way to get a RX is via a physician prescription and the proper channels. Also worthy of note is that this would not be an option if domperidone was actually illegal (as opposed to simply not regulated by the FDA)
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Thanks for that.

I've modified the OP. Tell me if it looks more accurate now. I'll readily admit that I'm not clear on the difference between illegal and just not having FDA approval. I was interpreting the info on the FDA website.

That's great if moms can legally get prescriptions for domperidone in the US. I'm just not comfortable with passing links around where anybody can order a medication like that without doctor supervision.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; June 10th, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    Thanks for that.

I've modified the OP. Tell me if it looks more accurate now. I'll readily admit that I'm not clear on the difference between illegal and just not having FDA approval. I was interpreting the info on the FDA website.

That's great if moms can legally get prescriptions for domperidone in the US. I'm just not comfortable with passing links around where anybody can order a medication like that without doctor supervision.
    I get that for sure.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    Even if you order it online from Canada, you do still need a prescription. I just saw an MD/IBCLC who gave me a prescription and told me I could order it online from Canada. That website clearly states RX ONLY.

ETA: You CAN get it without a prescription from Europe and Mexico. But Canada still requires a prescription.
    Last edited by @llli*avalucy; August 4th, 2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: updated info

if its illegal then why does the city I live in have a store that actually sells it (they didnt last year but they do now) just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mossyoak750swifey View Post
    if its illegal then why does the city I live in have a store that actually sells it (they didnt last year but they do now) just wondering
    Hmm I think if you read this thread you will see that we agree that it's not illegal, but it's not over the counter. Also because this is a world wide forum, you will see different laws depending on where you live.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mossyoak750swifey View Post
    As far as I know, it's only available by prescription from compounding pharmacies in the United States. If that's changed, I'd love to know more!
    Karen
    Forums Admin