Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legality of domperidone in the US - please read

Exclamation Legality of domperidone in the US - please read

While domperidone is commonly used for increasing milk production in several countries, it is not approved for use in the United States. FDA Statement.

The FDA prohibits the transport of domperidone across US borders. For this reason, please DO NOT post links to online pharmacies or other sources for the drug.

It may be possible to acquire domperidone from a compounding pharmacy with a prescription from your physician.

Thank you.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; June 10th, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: Legality of domperidone - please read

Hi LLLKaren - I just saw this. Can you provide your source for the first claim about legality in the US (about doctors prescribing it and compounding pharmacists producing it?). I don't mean to challenge your underlying point - I just want to know where you are getting this information from because it contradicts what I have been told. Thanks!

It's from the FDA:

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/.../ucm173886.htm

There was also an "Import Alert" saying that import shipments containing domperidone should be seized unless they're bulk shipments intended for laboratory or non-clinical research, plus example letters to compounding pharmacies who were producing it warning them of "regulatory action" and seizure of their products if they continue.

The letters issued by FDA today stated that all drug products containing domperidone (whether compounded or not) violate the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act) because they are unapproved new drugs and misbranded. In addition, distribution within the U.S., or importation of domperidone-containing products, violates the law. FDA informed the warning letter recipients that further violations of the Act may result in enforcement actions including seizure and injunction.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; October 11th, 2009 at 04:38 PM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    While domperidone is commonly used for increasing milk production in several countries, it is illegal in the United States. FDA Statement.

- It cannot legally be prescribed by US doctors or produced by compounding pharmacies in the US.

- It is not legal to order it online in the US.

- It is not legal to transport it across US borders.

For this reason, please DO NOT post links to online pharmacies or other sources for the drug.

Thank you.
    Wow. Then we have local doctors and compound pharmacies breaking the law because it was prescribed to my husbands co-worker and she was just telling me how well it worked and told me to ask my doctor. Crazy.
    I'm Heather, wife to Ben, mother to our miracle baby Olivia Paige and 7 angel babies.

Olivia Paige- 12-19-09 via emergency c section 9lbs 6oz 21in long.

We made it 7 months with lots of struggles. Wish it was longer, but still proud of myself.

I wearing my baby, cloth diapering and making her baby food.

Default Re: Legality of domperidone in the US - please read

I believe that there are some doctors and pharmacists that would challenge the FDA claim. This may go to court at some point.

just curious about this. The FDA says it's "not approved" buy to me that does NOT mean illegal. In fact most vitamins and supplements are not approved by the FDA but they are not illegal.

I see that distribution is illegal but what about possession with a Rx? Anyone know what "class" of illegal drug it is if indeed it is actually illegal?

“The FDA’s statement regarding domperidone is based on specious reasoning, bad science and their continued ignorance of the dangers of not strongly supporting breastfeeding,” said Jay Gordon, an American physician and International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. “Most experts agree that domperidone is not only safe and effective but is still legal in spite of the warning from the FDA.”

from this site

also this http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/O...atements.shtml
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    just curious about this. The FDA says it's "not approved" buy to me that does NOT mean illegal. In fact most vitamins and supplements are not approved by the FDA but they are not illegal.

I see that distribution is illegal but what about possession with a Rx? Anyone know what "class" of illegal drug it is if indeed it is actually illegal?

“The FDA’s statement regarding domperidone is based on specious reasoning, bad science and their continued ignorance of the dangers of not strongly supporting breastfeeding,” said Jay Gordon, an American physician and International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. “Most experts agree that domperidone is not only safe and effective but is still legal in spite of the warning from the FDA.”

from this site

also this http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/O...atements.shtml
    Ok so this is also my understanding as I was a police officer and have many friends in the legal field. It is not considered a controlled substance like say Vicodin. Therefore I was told I can't sell it but I can't get in trouble for having it either as long as I don't have more than I *think* a 3 month supply....or something like that.
    Last edited by @llli*mpprincess; April 25th, 2010 at 12:41 PM.

y'all need to move to Canada
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    y'all need to move to Canada
    Nah, New Zealand....it's warmer! LOL.