Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Exclusively pumping lowering my milk supply?

Default Exclusively pumping lowering my milk supply?

I have been pumping instead of nursing for the past week due to my son not latching properly and causing blisters on my nipples. I have noticed today that I am not pumping as much milk as before. I am getting about 4oz per pump session compared to 5oz previously. The left breast used to give more milk than the right side but is now only giving 2oz (I was getting 3-4oz before) and have noticed that my letdown is slower--which was never a problem before. When I try to compress, I still don't get much even though I can feel the hardness from the milk ducts and I know there is still milk in there . I'm actually getting more milk than before from the right side, BUT I have to really compress the breast to get it all out. Is there something that I should be doing differently to keep my milk supply up while my nipples heal?

Default Re: Exclusively pumping lowering my milk supply?

How often are you pumping? And with what type of pump? Did you buy the pump new or is it used? How many times has it been used by you or someone else?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a feel for it.

Pumping doesn't yeild how much milk you are actually making. Baby is always more effective.

You may try larger breast sheilds will aid in getting the milk out. I normally follow a pumping session up with manual expression because the pump just doesn't empty me. It's a pain but I'd rather know that the milk is out than chance it still being left in there!

Have you pumped before? I ask because pumping is a learned skill. It doesn't come naturally and it may be that you're having trouble relaxing while pumping. Try drinking a big glass of water while pumping and having a snack.

You could also try adding in an extra pumping session to create a bit more demand. You could try herbs (fenugreek and blessed thistle) or ask your doctor for a script for reglan or domperidone to help boost supply.

Good luck!

Hi there,

How old is ds?

This is important to know because this may just be a regulation in supply which is normal as a baby gets a little older. In the beginning most moms tend to make enough milk for a small army, but as time goes on their supply begins to regulate to the baby's needs.

Also, 4-5 oz. per session is a lot of milk! This is more than many moms get, even with exclusive pumping.

DS is 7 months old, but he drinks 6-7oz bottles at each feeding. So, I worry that I won't be able to make enough for him for when he goes to the babysitter's. I have do an extra pump late at night to get that extra milk to fill the bottles. I have been also tapping into my frozen supply.

Felicia did ask some pertinent questions as well. Particularly: if your pump is used or has possibly worn out/broken. This can happen and can affect performance.

Are you still exclusively pumping or have you gotten ds back to the breast yet?

I tried nursing the other day, but DS was still not able to latch on properly so I went back to pumping. I tried nursing again today and he is finally latching on well and I don't get sore. Hopefully, we will get back on track. Pumping exclusively was hard work!

How have things been the past few days?