Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottle Question - Going up in nipple size...

Default Bottle Question - Going up in nipple size...

Hi everyone!

I work full time & pump and all is going well. We have used the Avent & Born Free bottles. DD has taken any bottle we've given her and we haven't had any problem w/ gas or colic. So, we are sticking w/ the Avents, simply b/c hubby will help make/clean bottles when the bottles have less parts.

I'm wondering though - about going up a size in nipples. DD is 4 mos, and I have gone up to size 2 nipples. BUT - WHY do we have to? I would think that if the nipples have more holes, she's getting milk easier, and wouldn't that make her want to have the bottle more than my breast, since the breast would be harder to get milk out of?

I'm curious, because, according to Avent, I think she should be in a size 3 nipple.

Thanks in advance!!

Default Re: Bottle Question - Going up in nipple size...

I never changed from slow flow, and I think a lot of other moms didn't either. If what your using is working well for you I'd say don't bother changing. You don't HAVE to. I'd have the same concern you do about bottle preference.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Our son is 3.5 months and we did just switch him from slow flow to fast flow (we use Playtex drop-ins) because the slow flow was getting TOO slow for him - He was gulping too much air.

But I think if the slower flow are working for you and your LO then there is no reason to change just because the manufacturer thinks you should.

DD is 4 mos, and I have gone up to size 2 nipples. BUT - WHY do we have to? I would think that if the nipples have more holes, she's getting milk easier, and wouldn't that make her want to have the bottle more than my breast, since the breast would be harder to get milk out of?
    I think the possibility of baby coming to prefer the fast flow is exactly why many moms never switch to faster-flow nipples.

Maybe the reason the faster-flow nips are marketed is for formula-fed babies? They tend to require larger and larger volumes of formula as time goes on (unlike BFed babies, whose volume requirements don't change as much with time), so feeding a formula baby with a slow-flow nipple would mean spending more and more time giving the baby a bottle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much! See, there was something that just didn't make sense about going up a size! I knew it. I'm glad I only have 2 size 2 nipples, and only b/c they came w/ the bigger bottles I purchased.

So - one more question - do you ladies replace your nipples every 3 mos (for those that feed from bottles pretty regularly?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think the possibility of baby coming to prefer the fast flow is exactly why many moms never switch to faster-flow nipples.

Maybe the reason the faster-flow nips are marketed is for formula-fed babies? They tend to require larger and larger volumes of formula as time goes on (unlike BFed babies, whose volume requirements don't change as much with time), so feeding a formula baby with a slow-flow nipple would mean spending more and more time giving the baby a bottle.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    with all pp.

Court!!!!
    Well hello, my love!
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*daniellygirl View Post
    So - one more question - do you ladies replace your nipples every 3 mos (for those that feed from bottles pretty regularly?
    We used bottles every day with the sitter, and I never replaced the nipples. I always cleaned them thoroughly, and checked for cracks & all that every week or so. They lasted ~15 months (that's when I stopped needing to send them). I never heard about replacing them.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks everyone!!!! Yes - the #1 nipps are working, so we are not going to change them anytime soon. I'll keep an eye out for signs of her getting too much air.

Thanks for the help!

same here I used avent #1 nipples for the entire 1st year of breastfeeding....didnt change to 2 and 3's until we introduced whole (cow's) milk
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!