Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Returning to work, need advice

Unhappy Returning to work, need advice

Good evening girls--I will be returning to work on Thursday and am DREADING it with everything in me. My little one has been a bit more demanding the last few days and I'm wondering if its because she senses my stress.

Here's the problem--I have no suply built up--I did, but used it last week to take her to my aunt's house, who will be keeping her, and get try to get her used to taking bottles from Auntie Donna. She wasn't all that excited about the concept. 1 day she took the bottles fine, but the last day, she refused to take the bottles and when we got home that evening nursed for 3 1/2 hours straight. I hate to admit it, but I really need my sleep and am not sure how I will do w/a reverse cycling baby.

I now have just over 60 hours before I return to work, and no bottles pumped...What is the most effective thing to do to get enough bottles pumped for Thursday?

I am fortunate enough to work for a health insurance company, and realizing the benefits of BF, they do have a nursing mother's room for us to use, and even supply the pump, and give us extra tubing, etc upon our return to work so we don't have to cart the pump back and forth. I was also curious about how often I should pump once I return to work. My department is very flexible (no set arrival or departure time--get there before 9:30 and work your 8 hours--everything is good, no questions asked). They also give us 2 paid breaks and we can take as long of a lunch as we want to. I was thinking I would pump on my morning break, pump at lunch and pump at my afternoon break--does that sound necessary or like too much? She will be 10 weeks old on Friday and weighs in at 13 pounds 9 oz--she's a big one and she loves to eat. How much should I try to pump and leave w/my aunt on Thursday?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!! I'm so nervous about this--I need to make sure I figure out how to make this work so we can EBF for the first 6 months, and continue to BF for at least 1 year, maybe more.

Please help!!
    Krista
    Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed
    Mommy to Ada Grace (7-7-06) 7 lbs 14 oz, 20 lbs 14 oz at 1 year

Our little Angel, Henry James, grew his wings December 14, 2007

Default Re: Returning to work, need advice

First of all- you are doing a great thing by planning on pumping at work Pumping is an art that gets better with practice. I have been back to work for 2 months now and it has gotten easier. You are fortunate to have a relative caring for your LO Each child is different, but my daughter is 4 months and weighs 13 lbs. 6 ozs- she barely eats about 12 ozs in the 10 hours I am away from her. I nurse her right before I leave and as soon as I get home. She does not eat much at daycare and I do spend much of my evenings nursing. For me, though, I find it comforting and fulfilling for both of us. We "talk" to each other and snuggle. It can be challenging at night with a infant that is reverse-cycling, but it is easier if your LO sleeps in your room. You will find what works best for you and your family.

As far as supply: I pump in the morning and evenings even on my 1 day off during the week and on the weekend just to make sure I have enough. Since you want to have enough for Thursday, you might want to pump in the morning, after your dd goes to bed, and a little at each feeding (you might not get much, but it would be something).

I now pump every 3 hours at work. At first I did every 2 because that was how often my dd was eating, but I pump less time and get more now because my body is meeting the demand. Try to do at least 3 times for at least 15 minutes. I try to get a second let-down on at least 1 session.

Most importantly, relax. Things will work out in time. Enjoy the time with your LO right now. Happy pumping!

First, the easier question. Plan on pumping at least three times in a work day. For most mothers, they use a morning break, lunch, and an afternoon break. You're so lucky to have an employer that makes it easier on you!

To build up a supply for the first day, try pumping one side while your baby eats on the other. There will still be plenty for your baby, even after you switch to the other side. Your body will have more letdowns, making more milk for baby.

Most mothers find that they need to leave an ounce to an ounce and a half for each hour that they are separated from baby. So, if you'll be away from baby for 9 hrs (including travel time), you'll need to leave 9-14oz for baby. This is just an estimate; some infants will take more or less, especially as they adjust to the new situation. Baby will probably take this in three or four servings during the day. Ask your caregiver to not feed baby in the hour or two before you're expected home, so that baby is hungry when you get home and are full!

Getting sleep after you go back to work...where does baby sleep? does baby sleep in the same room as you? Do whatever you can to make night wakings as un-disruptive as possible. Keep the lights low, have baby close to your bed so you don't have to move as much, learn how to nurse laying down so you can doze while baby nurses.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Ada Grace nurses herself to sleep in our bed, and once she is totally asleep, I move her to her bed and she has been sleeping a total of 7-8 hours/night now. She does great sleeping through the night now and did a great job taking a bottle from my aunt today which relieves my stress quite a bit---now I just need to pump one side while she nurses on the other tonight and all day tomorrow so that I can have enough to get her through the day on Thursday.

Thanks again!!
    Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed
    Mommy to Ada Grace (7-7-06) 7 lbs 14 oz, 20 lbs 14 oz at 1 year

Our little Angel, Henry James, grew his wings December 14, 2007