Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone get pressure to wean?

Default Re: Anyone get pressure to wean?

Quote Originally Posted by Momtoone
    my family and friends keep asking me when I will finish breastfeeding.
    I was at a restaurant with all the in-laws the other night and was asked the famous question ... how long? I remained calm on the outside (I think) while on pins inside. I can't even remember my response, something like "I'm not sure, we'll see how it goes, each month she grows and changes in different ways." I had mentally prepared myself that they're expectation was We'd be stopping soon and put my defenses up. Instead their follow up to my response was OVERWHELMING support of how great it was we were still nursing and how GOOD it was for dd.

I am trying to change my perception to expect that when asked this in the future, especially from strangers, that they are going to be pleased and proud the longer we nurse. Megan will be 1 year old next month.

Leaving DD with others...
    I have found that dd nurses more frequently when she has unobstructed access. I love to nurse, so I readily offer my milk at the slightest sign of interest. If I'm not around she is happy for hours (even up to 5-6 recently) with food and watered-down juice from others.

Quote Originally Posted by Scandahooven
    My standard reply was 'before he goes to college'. Eventually my family stopped asking and he ended up weaning himself at 3 years and 1 week. I just tried to use humor and did my best to let the comments slide.
    That's the one I like to use too! I breastfed my oldest DD for only 6 days and my 2nd DD for 7 months largely in part to lack of support from my friends and family. My DS is 14 months and still nursing strong. We plan on child-lead weaning this time and I'll be darn if I let other people influence me this time around. I'm doing what's best for my son and now I'm just plain MAD that I didn't give my daughters the same opportunity.

Celeste
    www.simplynaturalfamily.com

Quote Originally Posted by Konur's Mom
    (sometimes they ask, "when will you start giving him cow's milk?") "Not sure, maybe if he starts thinking he is a calf"

"What, and get my PMS back? are you crazy?"

"I don't know. He seems to still enjoy it and I enjoy those extra 500 calories I burn"

"It is so hard to plan anything with a baby. We're just doing things day to day."

" We're in no rush, he has time to make up his own mind"

"Thanks for asking. Everyone seems to need an answer for that except for me and my child."

(and another for someone who is hounding you to no end) "It depends, when are you planning on asking me again?"
    lol
    I would like to add another one. It isn't the norm to wean after the dc has gotten the hang of bf.

I have the same problem, except mine is only 13 mos. old. Even my doctor has told me that it is time to wean because he is worried that my weight is getting too low. I wish I could give you a better response, but so far I have just tried to inform everyone who will listen of the effects of breastfeeding. I figure either they will eventually learn to leave me alone if they don't want to be lectured on the inner workings of lactation!

Lori/Konur's Mom, that's a fabulous list of responses! Thanks for posting that.

cadensmom, your doctor is concerned about your weight?

Mary

I love all these comebacks. I'm new on the boards here (literally I registered 15 minutes ago) and I am getting such a kick out of just reading comments from other people nursing older babies/toddlers.

When asked the "how long?" question back when I was still pregnant (why they wanted me to schedule a cease date before I'd even started is beyond me) I used to say "Before he can lift up my shirt and unfasten my bra by himself." Unfortunately, when Alex was two months old he was quite adept at grabbing the flaps on my nursing bra and getting them opened - so I had to stop using that line)

I'd like to agree with the other mom's that even if your baby nurses a lot when you're around you might be surprised at how well she does if you're not in the vicinity. On weekends Alex nurses 4-5 times/day but on weekdays when he's in daycare he does it in the morning and then goes 8 hours without it until he gets home and he's fine.

Good luck to you!

Sabrina
    Alex - DOB 12/08/04 - still happily nursing

I just usually said for as long as we both felt comfortable as that's what our Pediatrician & OBGYN both recommended ... if they pushed the issue I either walked away (depending on the person/situation) or explained that colon cancer & breast cancer both run in my family so I'm following the doctors' advice.
    ~ Tiffany

Child Passenger Safety Technician
    Home/unschooling mama to my Kindergartner!
    Leila Maribelle self-weaned at 4 years old....

I get a lot of comments from family, especially peers though. I am a strong minded person and family and friends know this, so when I tell them I will nurse til the baby is 40, they laugh but then wonder if I am serious or not. HAHAHAHHAHA. I get the same kind of comments like, "when are you going to stop having kids" and people say this with a condescending tone. Like they pay my bills, or raise my kids for me, or I somehow inconvenience their lives by breastfeeding or having more than 2 kids. ( I live 1300 miles from my family and friends and 150 miles from hubby's family, why are they so concerned?)
    When I get an actual argument from family and friends, I point out how healthy and well adjusted my kids are comparatively speaking....... there is usually no other arguing after it gets to that point....... My advice is to nurse until you and baby are ready to stop and let it be ONLY between you 2. Tell the world "NUNYA". Gen

I am so greateful for this board, reading the posts is so supportive. I have been bf and co-sleeping for almost 2 years and it is amazing the pressure to stop. I did not think I would be this way but I am very outspoken about it. It is the healthiest more loving gift to give a child, its like saying to someone "are you still kind" in a condescending tone. Everyone watches movies with naked stars and outrageous sex, but my breasts to feed my son is so offensive, go figure.

I am going to use some of those great comebacks, I love the one about my mother being far away.

Since the birth of my son my husband has been extra nervous and tense about everything, but when it comes to bf and c0-s he believes in it fully. He works with some of the most macho uneducated people and he is always telling anyone having a baby how importatn it is to bf. I get a kick out of it.

Rivkaliba

I am still breastfeeding my 20 month old daughter. Most of the time it is fine for me. She usually nurses 3 times a day, more if she's sick, and more at weekends -- a babysitter stays with her in the mornings on weekdays while I work. She likes nursing a lot, and it's nice for me to have a quiet thing we do together, it calms us both down. I'm not in any hurry to quit.
    But I am having issues with my husband pressuring me to wean. He thinks it would be easier for him to take care of her if she was weaned. He thinks she would be less deeply attached to me if she was weaned, and would be more receptive to him. He thinks she would wake up less in the night if she was weaned. He thinks she would be easier to handle, fewer tantrums etc., if she was weaned. He thinks our love life would be better if she was weaned. I'm not convinced any of this is true, but who knows? What do you reckon I should say to convince him?
    Last edited by emilyw; April 27th, 2006 at 05:46 AM.