Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing a 22 month old too much?

Default nursing a 22 month old too much?

Hi there,

I currently have an issue that I am worried is going to get harder and harder to resolve as my little guy gets older and older. I have two children. Both were b/f exclusively from me or expressed milk while I worked. My daughter self weaned at 21 months when I was about 4 months pregnant with her brother.

My issue is now with my son. He is 22 months old and nursing between 3-5 times a day. I don't mind the morning, nap and bedtime but what I am finding is that he is still getting up in the middle of the night to nurse. Most of the time it is just once, but he will do 2-3 times sometimes. I don't mind nursing, if I did I would have quit a long time ago, it is just that I am surprised he is still needing me to get up at night at this age when he eats other foods like crazy! Any advice, I am going back to work again in about a week and I thought this year I wouldn't have to feel like a zombie walking around from lack of sleep.

Anyone else gone through this, will it get better, am I starting some bad habits? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: nursing a 22 month old too much?

I night-weaned my daughter between 18 and 21 months of age (we started at 18mo, but due to trips and stuff we didn't finish until 21mo) using a modified version of the Dr Jay Gordon method. If you want to stop night nursing, you could look into that. I don't think there's anything wrong with him or that it's "too much" but it's more about what you want. I don't think he's needing you to nurse him during the night because he's hungry - but maybe he's thristy? Have you tried offering him some water in a sippy cup? My daughter still drinks water from a sippy during the night most nights. Have you tried other things to help him go back to sleep?
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

I will try the water in the middle of the night. I will also check out the Gordon method. I think once my little guy turns 2, I will really be ready for him to stop night feedings.

Thanks for your thoughts.

my dd was like that too.
    Sometimes if you cut out just one during the day feed you can feal beter about the other feeds.

You can do this!

fwiw, my 22 mo old still nurses that often too. We cosleep, and she does usually do one night feeding, but usually right before I'm ready to go to sleep and sometimes in the a.m. an hour or so before I'm really ready to wake up. I'd say whatever you're comfortable with, if you feel ready to night wean, there's nothing wrong with that or if you're ok with one time, just limiting it to that is ok too. Sorry not much help, just letting you know you're not alone
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Thanks for the responses. It helps to know that there are others in my boat. I just don't want to have a major problem down the road with having to wean. I don't mind nursing until he is ready to go, but I don't know that I want to go more than 3 years. I guess I am putting the cart before the horse. Sometimes it is hard to relax about things. Once I am back to work, his nap nursing will be out b/c he is away from me and won't take a bottle. He can fall asleep on his own at daycare. I think I will see if this helps him start to be a little more independent and go from there. Thanks again!

Don't forget that you have another set of molars to get through and they should be starting any minute now. And that is going to probably be a 6-8week process of increased night sessions to help cope with the pain......

Way too lazy for formula

My 20 month old nurses 3x a night or so still. I have her trundle bed right next to my side of the bed, and she's up-down, up-down, up-down during the night. It can be a little disruptive to my sleep, but actually I find it usually doesn't matter too much at work the next day because the job draws my focus enough that I forget that I'm tired. It isn't until the end of the work day that any sleep deprivation the night before really hits - probably not what you wanted to hear!