Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to stop taking fenugreek?

Default How to stop taking fenugreek?

My DS is 6mos and i'm proud 2 say we have been exclusively Bf'ing/pumping only. I work full time as a nurse so when i'm away from him I pump and when i'm with him I nurse. I have been taking the fenugreek capsules since he was about 2 mos and now i want 2 stop taking the pills but i'm afraid my supply will go down. Has anyone out there used fenugreek, than stopped and their supply stayed the same? please let me know. thanks!!!

Default Re: How to stop taking fenugreek?

Good for you, mama! As a nursing/working/formerly pumping mama, I know what a big commitment it is to do that (but SO worth it).

When I was pumping, I used oatmeal and fenugreek to help with supply issues. After a few months, I gradually weaned off of the fenugreek (over the course of a month). I kept the oatmeal, though, not so much for the supply but because it made an easy/nutritious/tasty breakfast. (If it helped with supply, that was great too.) I didn't find any problems going off of the fenugreek.

That being said, I had a couple of times where my supply dipped (stress at work, less time to pump, stress in life, etc.) and I went back on fenugreek for a short while each time (each time just a couple of weeks). I haven't taken any since DS was about 12mo, when he started eating a lot more solids and I didn't have to pump nearly as much (now I don't pump at all, although we nurse freely whenever we're together). I know it's months in the future, but I wanted you to see the light at the end of the pumping tunnel - what you are doing is amazing , but it isn't forever. Soon you will be able to have the wonderful nursing with your LO without the work of pumping.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thankyou so much for he resonse!!!! It was very informative. I love oatmeal also, so I think I will do the same. Continue to eat oatmeal and slowly wean myself off fenugreek, but just keep the bottle around just in case. Thanx again!!

Glad I could help!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png